Help getting Roland A-500 Pro setup

Rick Blacker

Hi all...

It's been a long time since I've used a DAW. Sonar X3 Producer.  I've forgotten quit a bit.  I played and recorded guitar.  I had purchased a A-500 Pro MIDI keyboard to play around with.  

My girlfriend used to play the piano, asked me to get this all set back up  so she could play piano through the MIDI keyboard.  So, I downloaded the newest version of Sonar just now. I loaded up the TruePianos plugin.  But now I'm lost on how to get Sonar to work with this MIDI keyboard.

I've setup Sonar's MIDI devices like this.  But beyond this I'm pretty lost.  I was hoping that someone might be able to point me to a tutorial, documentation that would show me how to get this working so that we can hear piano being played when the keys are being struck.

I have an Octa-Capture that seems to be configured properly. I loaded up a loop track and was able to play it and hear it through the Octa-Capture just fine. 

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Rick 

Midi Setup 1.jpg

Midi Setup 2.jpg

Roland  A - 500 Pro is a keyboard controller.

His midi output has to go to your audio interface midi in.

Go to your DAW preferences , in the midi section  devices, and you can see that your DAW  will recognize input and output of your adio interface.

Edited by lapasoa

Hey guys, thanks...

Last night I was able to stumble around and get it to work. John's tip helped me figure it out.  I got the TruePianos to work by ensuring I had the proper in/out.   Next I wanted to play with z3ta.  I know it's not the only way, but I was able to get that to work by ensuing it was using "Simple Instrument Track".  

I have the Sonar X3 Explained by Groove 3 video series.  I'm going to go back and watch.  I've forgotten just about everything I had learned in the past.

I sure love the new GUI improvements over X3.  I had no idea that it was free now.  What happen?  Gibson just couldn't make any money with it anymore? It's an amazing piece of software, I can't believe it's free.

Edited by Rick Blacker

To explain what happened is a full length novel. Basically Gibson went bankrupt and just pulled the plug. We all made plans and actually x3 was a part of that because it was the last version you could activate without a server.  
lots of long time users jumped ship to other DAWs and the forum was flooded with talk about which one to switch to 

and out of left field Bandlab buys it and said it’s now free. They kept staff and set them to focusing on bugs and stability. So what we still have is our favourite DAW , it’s free and it’s hugely improved. Welcome back. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, John Vere said:

They kept staff and set them to focusing on bugs and stability. So what we still have is our favourite DAW , it’s free and it’s hugely improved. Welcome back. 

Yes welcome back.   You will love how much has been worked on under the hood! 

• Thanks 1

Welcome back indeed! A great (re)starting point are Mike's videos here 

- he has a whole series on CbB and is an entertaining teacher. There are several other great free learning resources - check out the tutorial sub forum. The guys here are really helpful & friendly as well of course and you can learn a lot just from reading through the various topics! There's a couple of freeware threads in the Instruments sub forum for instruments and effects if you want to build up your VST stash!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1