CAL Note Number Modifications Not Reflected in Step Sequencer

Robert Bone

Howdy - I wrote a CAL script, to accept input of a number of half-steps to raise or lower note numbers in a selected MIDI clip, that was created by Step Sequencer. (Transpose based on user input number of half-steps).

The CAL script dutifully applies the transposition, and this is reflected in the Event List, however, when I view the Step Sequencer, for that clip, it still shows the original Note Names/Numbers as they were originally enter - prior to running the CAL script.

Am I losing my already feeble mind?  If the Event List has the modified Note Events, how is it that Step Sequencer looks like the Note Events were never modified.  If Step Sequencer created the Note Events that show up in the Event List, and the Event List shows the modified Note Events, properly, how is it that the Step Sequencer is also not modified?

As I pondered the above, I converted the Step Sequencer data with Bounce to Clip, and the Piano Roll view correctly shows the modified Notes.  I then Converted Clip to Step Sequencer, and viewed the Step Sequencer data, which then also correctly shows the modified Notes.

SOOOOO - it seems like there is a bug with Step Sequencer, because when Note Events are modified in Event List, those modifications are not reflected in Step Sequencer, unless I Bounce to Clip, then Convert to Step Sequencer.

Can anybody else confirm this, or enlighten me as to any errors in my thinking?

Thanks! :) 

Bob Bone

49 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I think the bug is in CAL, in allowing you to change events in a step-sequencer clip. They should be read-only.

So any Step Sequencer data I wish to modify through a CAL script, should first be Bounced to Clip?  Then, bug or not, I would be following the rules/intentions?

(I am guessing that CAL is not likely to get updated, anytime soon)

3 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

So any Step Sequencer data I wish to modify through a CAL script, should first be Bounced to Clip?  Then, bug or not, I would be following the rules/intentions?

(I am guessing that CAL is not likely to get updated, anytime soon)

With Step Sequencer clips, the Step Sequencer holds the "master" data (in a completely different format) - it then applies the changes to the clips as you modify things within the Step Sequencer itself.

This is why Step Sequencer generated data is read-only in the PRV.

Stopping CAL from modifying the generated data was obviously an oversight.

But yes, if you converting the Step Sequencer clip back to a normal clip (I think Bounce To Clips  should do this) would be the way to go.

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

With Step Sequencer clips, the Step Sequencer holds the "master" data (in a completely different format) - it then applies the changes to the clips as you modify things within the Step Sequencer itself.

This is why Step Sequencer generated data is read-only in the PRV.

Stopping CAL from modifying the generated data was obviously an oversight.

But yes, if you converting the Step Sequencer clip back to a normal clip (I think Bounce To Clips  should do this) would be the way to go.

I can confirm that doing a Bounce to Clip, modifying the Events, and Converting to Step Sequencer works as expected, and that is the process I will follow.  :) 

Bob Bone