Audio Engine/Plugin

I'm having a weird issue all of a sudden. I started getting a pop through the speakers and would lose all audio. After some experimentation I found I could get audio back by choosing Bypassing Efx of This Type, that would get my sound back, but as soon as I enable Efx I get the pop and no sound. Going back and forth, I've narrowed it down to possibly the Sonitus Reverb. When trying to make adjustments on a the reverb of a track simply moving the Pre-delay slider would produce the pop and I'd lose the Audio engine again. I don't particularly want to replace the Sonitus at this point because I'm right at the end of long mixing process. Is there a more obvious solution?

Windows 10 64bit (up to date)
Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40Ghz
16GB Ram
GPU: Radeon RX480 (drivers up to date)

Edited by Richard Schweitzer

I did, I didn't get this link, or see it, I appreciate the talking down to, but it doesn't answer the question. Like the OP said, I have plenty of options, the question is, is there anything I can do about Sonitus Reverb, other than just "use another reverb." He didn't get an answer either, so I assume no one actually knows.

I wasn't talking down, why do people say that when people try to help..  Must be tone of my voice I guess :) Nobody had answered you so I was only stating what I would do. 

Anyhow I don't know the answer but that thread told me everything I needed to know about that reverb. And personally there are a LOT of reverbs out there and I don't waist time with anything that causes me grief for 1 second. Just not worth it.  Your call. I tested it here by the way and it seems to work fine. It's very metallic sounding to my ears I guess that's why I don't use it. I still like the Lexicon that we got back some time ago with Sonar,  but just recently I've started using the  Acon Digital Verbate Basic. I got it from the free section of PLug in Boutique.  https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/17-Reverb/5968-Verberate-Basic-2

It's silky smooth. 

Edited by John Vere

I guess it's just the idea that someone intelligent enough to use a DAW at all wouldn't use a search engine right off the bat. Sort of like the old exchange, Customer: "My computer won't turn on." Tech: "Is it plugged in?" I guess that's an assumption on my part.  Anyway, for the song I'm mixing now I gave up and replaced it, I can hear the difference, but it's okay. I can't duplicate exactly what I had because the controls are different, I'm familiar with the Sonitus, but I guess I'll have to keep it out of future mixes. If you notice, the OP on that other thread was like me, his last post was, "Thanks, I’ve got plenty of alternatives, the question is about what is going on with Sonitus reverb. It works great as long as I avoid changing the settings during playback." And there were no responses after that. The problem for me is, I have dozens of mixes the Sonitus plays on that I would have to go back on each one as I needed to and redo every instance that reverb appears, tracks and busses, so I'd rather get it working. I'm not sure what changed though, I've been using it for a long time.

Did you bump up your audio buffer? I often max out the sample buffer when mixing to take the pressure off. Some plugins get funny if you push the buffer limits. Way back when, making the sonitus verb super fast was a thing.

Not sure if it will fix it, but i never had a problem with that verb when i used it and i mix with a high buffer.

Edited by Gswitz

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, revisiting this... in my current mix I have removed all Sonitus plugins, replaced them and remixed. But it didn't solve the problem, it's still occurring, randomly. Sometimes when I try to make an adjustment to the parameter of an effect, sometimes just when I hit play. I can work around it by "bypassing these types of efx" then re-enabling them one by one. I would have thought doing that would help me narrow down the issue but it has not as yet. Even rebooting doesn't help. Any more thoughts?

Edited by Richard Schweitzer

On 12/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, Richard Schweitzer said:

Again, not really looking for alternatives, looking for a fix.

Maybe an alternative is the fix. The Sonitus plugins are getting pretty long in the tooth. Sometimes when things start getting really old and are no longer updated they stop working so we'll.

On 12/29/2020 at 8:35 PM, Richard Schweitzer said:

I guess it's just the idea that someone intelligent enough to use a DAW at all wouldn't use a search engine right off the bat. Sort of like the old exchange, Customer: "My computer won't turn on." Tech: "Is it plugged in?" I guess that's an assumption on my part.

You'd be surprised. In a former life, I can't tell you how many cars I saw get towed in for no-starts and the fuel gauge wasn't lying when it read "empty."