Your 2020 worst purchase ?

Christian Jones

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

My worst purchase was most likely Fl Studio's All Plugins upgrade.  I got FL Studio in the charity auction (so that was good) and shortly later (I had barely installed FL Studio after the Halloween Auction) they started offering a big discount on the upgrade to the All Plugins version.  Like an idiot I didn't read the fine print that they had removed the VST versions from the All Plugins as part of this "sale". 

Not the end of the world, but it sure has soured my impression of Image-Line.  Also drives home the fact I really don't need/won't use all these DAWs.  Now that Cakewalk has articulations I'm not even using Nuendo/Cubase very much anymore.

Most of the FL plugins are never updated and some don't work in other DAWs. I have their everything bundle with VSTs.

At least you have 2 DAWs where you never have to pay for upgrades.

• Like 1

I want a new guitar so I reach in the closet and grab an old guitar I've had for years and now I pretend it's a new guitar  ....

I thought about getting The New Spark Amp . Then I remembered to go to my closet and pull out my Yamaha THR 5 and Mini Katana ...

I took all the money I would have spent on the Spark and took my dog to the vet , got him all his shots and  licensed him . Then I bought a $ 60 dollar bag of Science Diet dog food just for him ...

I thought about buying a new pedal  just because I want a new pedal , so I walk over to my fire place and I look at the 5 brand new pedals I bought and I say even though I haven't touched them in months because I'm to lazy to set them up   ...I still want a new pedal since I'm bored with knowing  those 5 pedals are on my fireplace so I go and track down my former gigging pedal board and pull off one pedal from the board . 

I even used that one pedal for most of my guitar tones on my last few songs just by turning all the pretty little knobs until I found a sound I liked ...

I wish this story had a happy ending but it doesn't ..

You see all this musical productivity and extreme gear purchase frugality  started to wear my out .  I started to wish I had best friend of the female persuasion ....

Then I realized  I'll never get a girl anytime soon because I'm way to Cheap  .....😘

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Metro Exodus - buggy, difficult, not very open world when you are getting killed.

death stranding (orwtfiwc) required dx12 (i have) feature level 12_0 (which i don't have) but steam refunds are easy peasy at least

Not the worst. But a real disapointment was IKM TRacks 5. I've used Sony Soundforge for so long. And I'm able to use so many other plugins within it. I find TR5 always seems to run hot. Wants to blast the files as if the "loudness" wars never ended. I like the modules and have found I tinker in TR5 then finish in Soundforge anyway.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, cclarry said:

Worst purchase...anything IK.
I love their plugins, but everything they do business 
wise is terrible, not to mention that IK plugs have almost
ZERO resale value...and that doesn't include the Jampoints
they take BACK when you sell one of their products...

Their business model is making them one of the WORST investments
a person can make...with Waves coming in a close second...

You are forgetting the 180 day expiration date for sound downloads. Expired? You have to pay 10 bucks to have the download again for 180 more days. Not only that's dodgy as heck, but you can also have sounds for free products expire as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

You are forgetting the 180 day expiration date for sound downloads. Expired? You have to pay 10 bucks to have the download again for 180 more days. Not only that's dodgy as heck, but you can also have sounds for free products expire as well.

So it's actually a $20 per year IKM subscription to maintain perpetual access to your sounds. Unless you buy an external USB hard drive and archive them all.

So it's a at least a couple of years to break even if you buy an extra drive...

42 minutes ago, Bapu said:

My worst purchases is when I buy some plugin that I already have but forgot to check my inventory.

I seem to do that at least once a year.

The (tell myself) upside is that it was an irresistible item at the time, twice.

I've done that before.  It's not so bad if you have 3 machines.

48 minutes ago, Bapu said:

My worst purchases is when I buy some plugin that I already have but forgot to check my inventory.

I seem to do that at least once a year.

The (tell myself) upside is that it was an irresistible item at the time, twice.

i've done that, but with records, i own 4 copies of at least two

• Like 2