Your 2020 worst purchase ?

Christian Jones

Well I guess I *could* say that the Ozone 9 Advanced and the Nectar 3 I got great deals on earlier this year were "bad" purchases only because I very soon after changed my mind and decided I had to have Music Production Suite 4 which includes those (as well as the new Plus version of Nectar).

But I was able to redeem myself pretty quickly once I decided to sell off that Ozone 9 and Nectar 3 on kvr just in time to turn around and score that MPS4 for $188 off that other kvr guy, so no I'm good. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 53mph said:

Phoenix reverb.

Impulse buy after getting R4. Doesn't do anything R4 cannot. Waste of a good 10 bucks.

D@mn, now that you mention it that one got me too, I'll own up to that.. but again, only because I later changed my mind and decided to get MPS4 which comes with R4. So yeah I'm down that $10 but that could've been way worse and considering the other deal I got I'm still up on top of this dang game this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 53mph said:

Phoenix reverb.

Impulse buy after getting R4. Doesn't do anything R4 cannot. Waste of a good 10 bucks.

I think this comes down to how you use reverb.  I have both and find they are quite different if you are really adding reverb.

R4 is color where Phoenix is transparent.  

If you barely add either they will seem similar enough.  

• Like 1

A pre-ordered hard copy of Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4. It is still in its plastic sitting on my counter. I'm not putting that diseased piece of garbage into my console until CD Projekt Red have patched all the system trashing bugs and then offered themselves as sacrifices to the gods of bulls**t time-wasting!

Edited by Royal Yaksman
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

New Macs.  Serious sets of headaches.  Arrow having a buffer issue and sticking (you can see it in the console) when going through a Black Magic video router.  

When you go directly into multiple screens, a different set of issues pop up.  And the fact that the HDMI cables have to be long (like 60 feet), and all the extenders we've tried add an unacceptable amount of latency (and with OTHER issues as well).  

When you go through an HDMI splitter, the sticky arrow goes away, but the screens intermittently get these weird trippy horizontal lines that only happen within program windows.  

Big Sur doesn't fix the issue.

We got 2 of them, and with the self upgrades (ram, etc) we did, they'd spec out at over $60k per machine.  

Sad thing is, I got a laptop at the same time that was around $6k, and it works damn near perfectly going directly into my Raven.  And I got a ton of kickass plug in's this year, so I feel more cozy working at home than the multimillion dollar facility.  

• Sad 2

What I remember I was quite lucky this year.  I remember only the Brainworx bx_rockrack V3 from Plugin Alliance. Fortunately it was only for $9.90.  
I always check  date when the VST was made since that purchase, especially in case of amp sims.

Worst purchase...anything IK.
I love their plugins, but everything they do business 
wise is terrible, not to mention that IK plugs have almost
ZERO resale value...and that doesn't include the Jampoints
they take BACK when you sell one of their products...

Their business model is making them one of the WORST investments
a person can make...with Waves coming in a close second...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, cclarry said:

ZERO resale value...and that doesn't include the Jampoints
they take BACK when you sell one of their products...

Their business model is making them one of the WORST investments
a person can make...with Waves coming in a close second...

Lars

I uninstalled ALL my Waves plugins and gave up on them about three or more years ago - far too much WUP'ing for my liking!

Even though I have owned Amplitude for years, I have given up on it - every time I went to use it I didn't have something that I'm sure I used to have before some upgrade or another.

I have and use quite a bit of the old stuff - Sampletron, SampleMoog etc. No support for these anymore, so probably will stop working at sometime in the future - it is such a shame as the products are normally good - the continual trying to make you buy things to make the product work properly, like with Amplitube, seems the biggest issue with IK - there are probably more but as I don't bother much with them anymore, I am not up to date I expect!!

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, cclarry said:

ZERO resale value...

Plus there's that $18 or $19 transfer fee you can go ahead and deduct from whatever you manage to sell the plugin for which will just never happen. I have the IK compressor suite that for the longest time I can't seem to *give* away so I don't care anymore 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Plus there's that $18 or $19 transfer fee you can go ahead and deduct from whatever you manage to sell the plugin for which will just never happen. I have the IK compressor suite that for the longest time I can't seem to *give* away so I don't care anymore 

True that!

My worst purchase was most likely Fl Studio's All Plugins upgrade.  I got FL Studio in the charity auction (so that was good) and shortly later (I had barely installed FL Studio after the Halloween Auction) they started offering a big discount on the upgrade to the All Plugins version.  Like an idiot I didn't read the fine print that they had removed the VST versions from the All Plugins as part of this "sale". 

Not the end of the world, but it sure has soured my impression of Image-Line.  Also drives home the fact I really don't need/won't use all these DAWs.  Now that Cakewalk has articulations I'm not even using Nuendo/Cubase very much anymore.