File continually auto-saving

jono grant

I find many files that get to a point where they have a lot going on, are auto-saving constantly, sometimes after every time I hit stop! I have the preference set to autosave every 10 minutes or 10 changes. I think I've been told in the past that recorded midi tracks that have automation etc. may be calculated as "changes" when mod wheels etc. get moved or other parameters get automated, very annoying. I don't make any change at all and it auto saves. 

I've also found that almost any time a crash happens, it's right when an autosave happens... not a coincidence I don't think, it's gets messed up because it tries to auto-save while I'm making some other change and can't handle it.

Anyone know how to make auto-save behave better? 

Thanks

J

59 minutes ago, jackson white said:

@jono grant   Maybe try setting it to zero and see if that changes the observed behavior. 

fwiw, my 'best practice' is a well conditioned "ctrl+s" reflex and a permanent position in the custom control module. 🙂

As do I save all the time but I also make 100 changes per minute and I hate losing stuff. Often it's a performance of some kind. 

I've been using Cakewalk since I had windows 98, perhaps even 95... there are issues that don't ever get fixed, it puzzles me.  

The one thing I mention above about crashes occurring at an auto-save point is an issue as well. I think it just tries to autosave at the exact same time as you make a move and it blows up...lol

Anyhow, thanks

9 hours ago, jono grant said:

As do I save all the time but I also make 100 changes per minute and I hate losing stuff. Often it's a performance of some kind. 

I've been using Cakewalk since I had windows 98, perhaps even 95... there are issues that don't ever get fixed, it puzzles me.  

The one thing I mention above about crashes occurring at an auto-save point is an issue as well. I think it just tries to autosave at the exact same time as you make a move and it blows up...lol

Anyhow, thanks

We fixed an issue a while back for some plugins that were registering multiple changes in parameters either due to automation resetting when going back to zero, or on zero all controllers... but not all plugins were playing ball with this, and still register multiple changes.

My recommendation is to set the number of changes to zero, and rely on the timer instead.

Could you elaborate on what you're doing when it crashes?  We did go through a bunch of operations and postpone auto-save if it tried to do it mid-operation. Maybe one or two have been missed.

11 hours ago, jono grant said:

I also make 100 changes per minute

Lol, hear ya on that.  CxB has some incredibly productive workflow capability.  I often feel like I'm abusing it for the types of projects I tend to work on.  

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

elaborate on what you're doing when it crashes?

In my case, it's been full on speed comping  with lots of 'asynchronous' clip editing across multiple take lanes and varying degrees of automation manipulation. By 'asynchronous', I mean the clips do not line up nicely across take lines. 

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

We fixed an issue a while back for some plugins that were registering multiple changes in parameters either due to automation resetting when going back to zero, or on zero all controllers... but not all plugins were playing ball with this, and still register multiple changes.

My recommendation is to set the number of changes to zero, and rely on the timer instead.

Could you elaborate on what you're doing when it crashes?  We did go through a bunch of operations and postpone auto-save if it tried to do it mid-operation. Maybe one or two have been missed.

It's random, I could be altering an envelope or even just moving a clip, if it happens right when the autosave happens it can crash. Again, I go look at the time of the last autosave when it happens and it's always right when the crash was.