McCartney III

Johnbee58

Paul has never been my fav solo artist of the Beatles. IMO he's had maybe 3 top shelf songs in his entire solo career. And since his output far exceeds the other solo Beatles that's a pretty low hit percentage.

His strength came from the competition John gave him, again, IMO.

(I'll get me coat)

• Like 2

On 12/28/2020 at 4:42 PM, Bapu said:

Paul has never been my fav solo artist of the Beatles. IMO he's had maybe 3 top shelf songs in his entire solo career. And since his output far exceeds the other solo Beatles that's a pretty low hit percentage.

His strength came from the competition John gave him, again, IMO.

(I'll get me coat)

I pretty much agree with that. I always thought John was the edgey one but he had a lot of wimpy, bla song on his own. They were SOOOOOOO much more than the sum of their parts.

19 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

McCartney III? Is that the replacement for McCartney II after McCartney I was killed by the walrus?

According to Bapu it's the working title for his "Best of" album.

He must know of at least two other songs that I've never heard.

I read this as "McCartney ill" and was checking in to see if the Walrus was doing poorly.

Assuming we can really know who wrote what in that excellent team, I would disagree respectfully, I think you don't have enough Lennon-only songs to stack up against Blackbird, Hey Jude, Yesterday, Let it Be, the Long and Winding Road, Eleanor Rigby, And I Love Her, I Saw Her Standing There, Eight Days a Week, I'll Follow the Sun, Drive My Car, Fool on the Hill, Back in the USSR, When I'm 64,  a ton of the Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road ones, Penny Lane, and even some Wings songs like Let 'em In and that James Bond one.

Michelle is I think brilliant from the standpoint of arrangement and chord structure, and it might be 20th on the list.

You could maybe say that Lennon rocked a little harder and was less mindful of pop or jazz than Paul was.

Here's a nice list:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/faroutmagazine.co.uk/paul-mccartney-beatles-every-song-hes-written-playlist/amp/

Now who wants to talk Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic?  :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Michelle is I think brilliant from the standpoint of arrangement

At that time a lot of the arrangements with classic instruments was done by the 5th Beatle! 😄

11 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

You could maybe say that Lennon rocked a little harder

I don't know why so many people say this! Most of the harder songs are McCartney songs: I'm Down, She's a Woman, St. Pepper, Oh Darling, Helter Skelter, Why Don't We Do It on the Road, ... Often I heard someone believe that some of those songs were sung by John! Very strange! But I guess this is because Paul made also those "softy songs" (I don't like most of them, especially in the Wings time).

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I declare Lennon the winner, but maybe Ted Cruz will contest the results.

Also most of my favorite songs are from John, but in the last years I understood more and more that most part of the good arrangements came from Paul, even for John's songs and it is not only the bass! Think of "Come Together", the composition of Lennon is not so special, but the instrumentation is brilliant and that's more Paul's work! John was always more interested in his political/social message and in special effects, not in a good instrumentation and in a good mix. You can see this very well on his own albums! But quite a lot of his songs are ingenious.

I do not comment the 2nd part of your statement!

Edited by marled
I was a bit overhasty.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bapu said:

Macca wrote 70 songs with The Beatles

Lennon wrote 72 songs with The Beatles 

They would only be contested if someone declared that Ringo wrote 1,000 songs with The Beatles (just putting this into context).

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

What used to make me angry was when critics would say things like (paraphraised) "George's songs weren't quite the caliber of John and Paul's in the early years but George' stuff improved over time". IMHO, Harrison' music was always as good as Paul & John's with the possible exception of the Indian stuff.

😀

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Harrison' music was always as good as Paul & John

Favorite Beatles cut, Tax Man

but I do always wonder if Paul's guitar work was a little nod to

3 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

the Indian stuff

Sounds Raga-esque to me.....

t

that said, favorite Beatle?

Ringo

hands down

On 1/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, Bapu said:

Macca wrote 70 songs with The Beatles

Lennon wrote 72 songs with The Beatles 

Can we count Revolution #9 as a song? 

My favorite Macca songs are Mull Of Kintyre (Reminds me of Cobwebs and Dust by G. Lightfoot. Even the same key.) and Let Me Roll It.