Sonivox Vocalizer Pro

cclarry

23 minutes ago, Salvatore Monella said:

There have been some serious issues reported installing this plugin. YMMV:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2312785

I was reading the reviews at ADSR Sounds and, quite oddly, all of the negative reviews have five stars. I think this is on ADSR. I think they are being purposefully misleading, they know nobody reads reviews.

I bought something from ADSR last month. After multiple inquiries and no product delivered in two days, I cancelled my order. Despite their advertised return policy, they refused to give me a refund and only after my refund requests did they deliver the product serial number, more than two days after I placed the order. I made a PayPal dispute and they fought me for the better part of a week before I wrote a negative review of their site describing my experience in detail. After that a manager contacted me and said he authorized a refund and that he wanted me to amend my negative review. 

While I've read A LOT of negative posts about Sonivox VSTs having tons of issues and poor customer support, when you combine that with ADSR's bad practices, I wouldn't just advise people to walk away from this, but run. If you're still interested in buying Sonivox, there are other stores like Plugin Boutique and JRR that I'm sure will give you the same deal and are decent, honest stores. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 hours ago, Salvatore Monella said:

There have been some serious issues reported installing this plugin. YMMV:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2312785

I don't know what Sonivox may have done to the recent installers, but the version of Vocalizer installer that I downloaded from Plugin Boutique in 2016 has no iLok installer inside.

The install instructions at the time were very clear the you first need to register an iLok account, install the iLok license manager on your computer, and then authorize your product before installing it.

I have the Sonivox Premier Collection and all installers were from 2016-2017. They never displayed any of the troubling iLok behavior in the recent reports. The Air Music products were also using the same method, and my most recent installer from them was for Loom II. That file was created over 3 years ago, and no trouble with it either. All of my Air installers were created in 2016-2017. I mention both Air Music and Sonivox here because they are run by the same company, inMusic Brands. Now I'm glad that I have them archived.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I don't know what Sonivox may have done to the recent installers, but the version of Vocalizer installer that I downloaded from Plugin Boutique in 2016 has no iLok installer inside.

The install instructions at the time were very clear the you first need to register an iLok account, install the iLok license manager on your computer, and then authorize your product before installing it.

I have the Sonivox Premier Collection and all installers were from 2016-2017. They never displayed any of the troubling iLok behavior in the recent reports. The Air Music products were also using the same method, and my most recent installer from them was for Loom II. That file was created over 3 years ago, and no trouble with it either. All of my Air installers were created in 2016-2017. I mention both Air Music and Sonivox here because they are run by the same company, inMusic Brands. Now I'm glad that I have them archived.

The version from PIB has an iLok installer inside, but I don't think it's the correct one.  It actually installs a tiny duplicate alongside the License Manager I already had.

Install Vocalizer Pro, and then immediately go to Add/Remove Applications and remove the 24MB redundance PACE installation there 😉 

The only "issue" with this plug-in is that it won't work if you don't set it up as a Soft Synth in SONAR/Cakewalk by BandLab.  It works.

I trialed it when I was looking for a straight up vocoder, one where I could feed it an external carrier and vocal track modulator. I couldn't really get it to do that. TAL Vocoder 2 turned out to be the answer.

It seems to do a lot of other fun stuff. Try before you buy if you're expecting to get a certain sound from it. As always, YMMV, and just because I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to work that way doesn't necessarily mean someone else can't. It's supposed to be able to, I think, according to the user guide.

15 hours ago, Maestro said:

The version from PIB has an iLok installer inside, but I don't think it's the correct one.  It actually installs a tiny duplicate alongside the License Manager I already had.

Install Vocalizer Pro, and then immediately go to Add/Remove Applications and remove the 24MB redundance PACE installation there 😉 

The only "issue" with this plug-in is that it won't work if you don't set it up as a Soft Synth in SONAR/Cakewalk by BandLab.  It works.

I was referring to my archived installer file from 2016. No iLok installer was included in the original PIB file. Had to obtain it separately from the iLok website.

I was mentioning this only to provide some insight to the fact it hasn't always been like this. Something has evidently been changed.

Like I said previously, I've no idea what Sonivox did to "improve" the current installer, but it doesn't sound good. One of the reasons I archive my installer files on an external USB.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I trialed it when I was looking for a straight up vocoder, one where I could feed it an external carrier and vocal track modulator. I couldn't really get it to do that. TAL Vocoder 2 turned out to be the answer.

It seems to do a lot of other fun stuff. Try before you buy if you're expecting to get a certain sound from it. As always, YMMV, and just because I wasn't able to figure out how to get it to work that way doesn't necessarily mean someone else can't. It's supposed to be able to, I think, according to the user guide.

There are a couple of Generic Vocoder Presets in the Library under the Vocoder category for people who want that.  It can be used in this way, but it definitely goes above and beyond that.

• Like 1