Ugly Duckling by Cakewalk and PowerPoint

yukohime

Hi from TOKYO ! 

Thanks to Bandlab staffs for proving us such an amazing software for free.    I've really made use of it in this year. Spending many months  I've created my original songs and made Youtube Video,  combining two songs ,some pics. drawing and a movie by Cakewalk and PowerPoint.  I added how  to create below. Dose someone know better means to make this type of music video ?

Youtube link: 

-----Below is process I made    #let's say first song is F, second song is S. and Powerpoint is PP

1.  Recorded acoustic guitar tracks with Steinberg UR22C and single Bluebird SL microphone and added another tracks( Drum, piano, strings  provided by Cakewalk and Vocal  to create two MP3 files.  #I spent several months because of many many scratching and building....

2. After planning video story, I put all staffs (photos, movie) into each page of PP then I also embed those MP3 files into it as background music. 

3.  Added text(Lyrics), using  animation function. I adjusted delay and duration time on each page.    

4.Then I tried to synchronize page feed and songs, adjusting page switching time on PP. BUT it doesn't work correctly.  I mean, even I set 3 seconds, a next page appeared after 5 seconds etc.  What more worse, this delay time were changed  (I found some similar cases at FAQ of PP).  somehow I adjusted to create a better version but not perfect. 

5. I exported this PP contents into one MP4 file for uploading to Youtube.  I thought I made it but I was wrong,  Besides my background music, I hear strange click noises at some points.....   It seemed that those noises were generated as making MP4 file by PP.   Finally I gave up.  I deleted two MP3  from PP then created just soundless MP4 file.

6. I imported the two MP3 files and the one MP4 file into Cakewake and adjusted starting points of each songs.  Finally I made a success to export it into this Youtube MP4 file

I know it's not the best way to make it.  Could anyone tell  me the best way to create next music video !

Ugly cakewalk.jpg

Edited by yukohime
  • Like 3

You are a very talented guitarist .I enjoyed your work. The video was excellent! Thanks for sharing. Good message and music here!

Some people use Cakewalk for video work. I have not had very good luck using only Cakewalk and use other programs for video. I don't often make videos. I mostly make only basic things so my video programs are basic. 

• Like 2

Yukohime , I thought both songs were Very nice and I really enjoy hearing singing in different languages. I know nothing about making videos , so I can only comment about the audio side of it. I did like the original artwork and appreciated the nice printed lyrics. I think you are truly a talented guitarist , but I think the guitar lacked some clarity and high end sparkle. I know the normal sound of nylon strings can be helped a little by lowering the real low frequency and adding a little high end gloss.  Welcome to the forum !   I hope to hear more from you ..   mark   

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, jack c. said:

sing a second time and combine with original voice, to help with some pitch issues.nice job recording.also less bass guitar notes.nice acoustic sound.jack c.

Thanks for commenting.  Yes, I know I have many pitch issues so that I repeatedly tried to sing many times through entire song. Next time I will combine the best part of  each voice tracks as you suggested.   In addition to that I have to practice more! 

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I think the guitar lacked some clarity and high end sparkle. I know the normal sound of nylon strings can be helped a little by lowering the real low frequency and adding a little high end gloss.

I appreciate your profound advice.  That must be what I have to adjust as mixing down next time.  I keep it in my mind. 

2 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I did like the original artwork and appreciated the nice printed lyrics

Wow, thanks you💛. My artwork is kids-like but drawing with emotion. :)  

Edited by yukohime

I've made a few music videos using dedicated video editors (Vegas Pro, DaVinci Resolve, HitFilm). Never tried or even thought of using Power Point. I don't know what kind of animation functions there are in PP but you could probably do the same in a dedicated video editor. If you're looking for special effect stuff I'd suggest Hitfilm since it seems to lean in that direction.  You could get the demo version of Hitfilm or try Hitfilm Express which I think is free.
Anyway, I liked your video. Great soundtrack!

-Bjorn

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

If you're looking for special effect stuff I'd suggest Hitfilm since it seems to lean in that direction.  You could get the demo version of Hitfilm or try Hitfilm Express which I think is free

Thank you very much !  I've been checking those products that you recommended.  As far as I saw, yes, Hitfilm Express seems to be the one I should try out.

I chose  P.P because  I've already used its animation function in business but I found it's little bit hard to create music video as I mentioned.  I think I can take advantage of this experience. 

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Anyway, I liked your video. Great soundtrack!

I appreciate your comment !

Yuko

cool stuff - i agree with the comments re the guitar sound - really can be difficult to get a nylon stringed guitar cutting through the mix - if you have something like a Magg 4 EQ, i would give the guitar a lot of the "air" setting.

For videos we use Magix Movie Edit Pro, which is basically a slightly upgraded version of Vegas. 

You can see our videos here

https://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Keep up the good stuff

Nigel

• Like 1

Hello Yuki, 

I'm surprised you play a nylon string .  I studied that thing for years. Do you know Kazuhito Yamashita?  If not look him up.  The CG repertoire is amazing.   I enjoyed your production and it gave a tear to my eye.  The child like drawings are perfect for your song .  Only crit is maybe have more edits...like zooming in on your face towards the end, stuff like that.  This is a good one.

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. Dropped a "like" over at YouTube for you.

Liked the "thanks" of the end of the video, and I agree too many decide too soon and miss a lot.

Keep up the good work!

tom

Posted 12-28 and already on page 2, wow...

almost forgot, Welcome to the Forum!

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

IMHO,  thought that your production was wonderful.  I appreciate the scrolling lyrics as they tell good stories and have poignant messages to tell.  I agree with Mark (above) - you are a talented guitarist.  I have attempted (with the emphasis on attempted) to do a few videos and have used HitFilm.   The reason for this choice is that they have lots of video tutorials. 

Good work and I look forward to more of your postings.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 12:06 AM, mark skinner said:

Are you a left handed or right handed guitarist.

Hi, Thanks for commenting !  I'm a right handed.   My camera application made part of videos in wrong way  without intention.  I was also confused, watching the result. ^^

• Like 1