Screen Capture Cakewalk with Audio

4th Eden

I have finally acquired a Logitech Webcam for Christmas! My mission is to record audio and screen capture straight form Cakewalk whilst I have a small video of yours truly in the corner.

After playing around with the Logitech software, it seems that I cannot capture sound from Cakewalk as it seems my Focusrite drivers seems to lock the audio exclusively.  When I play music in VLC player, I have audio.

After researching this, it seems this is an issue for most DAWs inc. Cakewalk and the solution lies in a free audio software called Voicemeter where you route Cakewalk into Voicemeter and through the Logitech Screen Capture software (and OBS seems to be another favourite).

I wondered if this is the best solution? Anyone have experience with this process?

I got this to work.  I'm pretty sure OBS can use ASIO drivers and capture. If not I might have been using WASAPI shared.  It's just a matter of getting the correct settings. 

I think I had to go into windows sound settings and uncheck that  let software take exclusive control option. Been awhile I can check later. OBS is defiantly the best capture program I have tried out. If you follow the links in my signature those videos were done with OBS and a Scarlett interface. 

6 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I got this to work.  I'm pretty sure OBS can use ASIO drivers and capture. If not I might have been using WASAPI shared.  It's just a matter of getting the correct settings. 

I think I had to go into windows sound settings and uncheck that  let software take exclusive control option. Been awhile I can check later. OBS is defiantly the best capture program I have tried out. If you follow the links in my signature those videos were done with OBS and a Scarlett interface. 

thanks, what ive seen to-date is videos with other DAWs routing out to Voicemeter and into OBS (or Logitech Capture) but if this can be resolved without the use of third party software then great...

As an alternative, you could use a hardware mixer to mix a mic and the output from your scarlett, and feed the output of this into the line input of your onboard sound device.

I use something like this:

image.png.34844c25d67ddbfb53a34abb32271882.png

Mine is by Thomann (T-Bone), which AFAIK is discontinued, but it's essentially the same mixer rebadged.  It was around £40 / $50.

This way I can use the onboard sound-card with OBS, and continue using the Scarlett with ASIO in CbB.

• Like 1

I just set this up.

I downloaded the latest version of OBS studio 

I opened a project in Cakewalk and plugged a mike into input 1 of my interface ( scarlett 6i6) 

In preferences I changed driver mode to WASAPI shared -this is important.  Otherwise you won't get the DAW output. 

Opened OBS and in audio settings:

Desktop audio ( this is sound from DAW ) = Speakers ( Focusrite USB  audio ) 

Mic/Aux audio ( this is my mike input 1) Analogue 1+2 ( Focursite USB audio) 

In OSB when I play my Project the meter at top desktop audio shows signal. So I can balance the level here so the DAW doesn't come across to loud.  

The Mic Aux is my mike plugged into input 1 of the interface and shows full signal. 

I have not done this but the tools to have a little screen in the corner or ? are there by adding my web cam the the Sources list as a Video capture device. It seems to automatically show when hooked up.   and I believe studio mode allows messing around with that.  

So everything you need and best of all just like Cakewalk- its free!   I don't see why you would need Voicemeter what ever that is? 

What I do is use 2 monitors and put OBS on the second screen. I set OBS to only record monitor 1. 

Then I edit the MP4 in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum where I add the titles etc. 

Edited by John Vere

• 8 months later...