SOLVED: Keyboard stopped sending MIDI from keys. Encoders, mod wheel okay

Billy86

Was working fine, but I think I inadvertently deleted its USB driver. So I reinstalled the driver and rebooted. The unit powers on via USB connection. It's listed and checked in Midi Devices and Control Surfaces in Preferences, so CbB "sees" it. It's available as an input on Midi tracks, but there is no MIDI coming from the keyboard; I checked with a Midi Monitor, which shows no activity, while another MIDI control surface does, so I know the monitoring app is working.  I also reset the Impulse to factory settings just to be sure I didn't wonk something out on it. I also tried another USB port. No use. 

Not sure what else to try. Any ideas appreciated. 

EDIT: What I ended up doing was downloading and installing a firmware update from Novation, and everything is working as normal. Apparently, user error, which necessitated frustrating troubleshooting and hair-pulling-out.  The firmware update was a few steps and pretty painless. Back to the music! 

Edited by Billy86
Solved

Billy86 . . . I may not have the recipe for the fix you want, mostly sympathy (I have Impulse 61) . . . I've had this happen way too many times, a real drag to the creative moment, monkeying with midi connections. Usually I get it to work after numerous reboots, unplugging USB, replugging etc . . . sometimes toggling Input Echo on the channel, or Global FX toggling helps. Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...

So... still working on this. Please, MIDI gurus, help if you can. I don't know if this is "Novation-specific" or just a general MIDI knot. 

I have swapped different version of USB drivers, starting with the original that was working, then the next version, and finally a version from Fall 2019 (the latest). The Impulse powers on (USB power), appears to be "operating normally" in Win 10 device settings, is recognized and configured in CbB in Midi Devices and Control Surfaces.  Not sure how I got to this point, but now everything EXCEPT the actual keybed is sending Midi data, per a Midi testing app I installed (it might've been doing this before, but this is first time, out of frustration, I just started turning/sliding other controls).  Encoders, pads, mod and pitch wheel, etc., all work and send data.  I can see pitch and mod wheel movements in the MIDI app, and I can record it on a MIDI track.

Have tried both USB and the 5-pin DIN Midi ports. Have tried different USB cables and USB ports.  Not using a hub; directly into my computer.  Any idea why just the keys won't send Midi??? Thanks for any help... don't know what else to do, and Novation  support is frustratingly unresponsive.  Thank you!

23 hours ago, Billy86 said:

So... still working on this. Please, MIDI gurus, help if you can. I don't know if this is "Novation-specific" or just a general MIDI knot. 

I have swapped different version of USB drivers, starting with the original that was working, then the next version, and finally a version from Fall 2019 (the latest). The Impulse powers on (USB power), appears to be "operating normally" in Win 10 device settings, is recognized and configured in CbB in Midi Devices and Control Surfaces.  Not sure how I got to this point, but now everything EXCEPT the actual keybed is sending Midi data, per a Midi testing app I installed (it might've been doing this before, but this is first time, out of frustration, I just started turning/sliding other controls).  Encoders, pads, mod and pitch wheel, etc., all work and send data.  I can see pitch and mod wheel movements in the MIDI app, and I can record it on a MIDI track.

Have tried both USB and the 5-pin DIN Midi ports. Have tried different USB cables and USB ports.  Not using a hub; directly into my computer.  Any idea why just the keys won't send Midi??? Thanks for any help... don't know what else to do, and Novation  support is frustratingly unresponsive.  Thank you!

Anyone....?

Not necessarily the problem, but have run into issues when using a different USB port. Ended up using some utility found on the web to help Windows forget the devices plugged in to each of the ports. 

As an Impulse 61 owner, I also had to reset the keyboard once to alleviate this problem. There is a button combo you can hold while starting the keyboard to reset it to defaults. Don't remember exactly what it is, but in the manual

1 hour ago, oneofmany said:

Not necessarily the problem, but have run into issues when using a different USB port. Ended up using some utility found on the web to help Windows forget the devices plugged in to each of the ports. 

As an Impulse 61 owner, I also had to reset the keyboard once to alleviate this problem. There is a button combo you can hold while starting the keyboard to reset it to defaults. Don't remember exactly what it is, but in the manual

Thanks. I’ve previously done the factory reset, no change. Different cables, different ports, no change. Will research the ‘reset’ Windows USB ports.