Trying To Set Up New M-Audio Oxygen PRO controller

6 hours ago, tulamide said:

I'm not a technician, I simply don't know about all of that "behind the scenes" stuff (ACT, Mackie, HUI, etc). Isn't there one consistent way to get it to work? It seems so strange, that for some it works by selecting Cubase and Mackie, for others it works like Mike Z described, and yet again others need to select another DAW than Cubase or MPC.

Use Cubase mode on keyboard and 'Mackie control' surface in Cakewalk. In 'Mackie control' configuration, set "Disable handshake" option. Do not insert "ACT" (nor any other) surface plug-ins (so, there should be exactly one 'Mackie control').

Enable one pair of input+output which you think is DAW control. Based on your text "Mackie" (other write MIDIIN3/MIDIOUT3) and assign these to 'Mackie control'.
Check transport is working. Enable primary MIDI input, the one which transfer keys, so you can play soft-synth.

PS There can be difference in resulting functionality, but transport and faders will work the same way in case any Mackie mode is selected on keyboard. But it should be some Mackie mode. Cubase and REAPER are Mackie modes. Other not sure (and some for sure not).

PSPS There are other approaches to use this device with Cakewalk. And there are some advantages and disadvantages of these approaches. That is no "one consistent way", there are "many consistent ways"! But watch out... some suggestions in this thread are not really consistent...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, azslow3 said:

Use Cubase mode on keyboard and 'Mackie control' surface in Cakewalk. In 'Mackie control' configuration, set "Disable handshake" option. Do not insert "ACT" (nor any other) surface plug-ins (so, there should be exactly one 'Mackie control').

Enable one pair of input+output which you think is DAW control. Based on your text "Mackie" (other write MIDIIN3/MIDIOUT3) and assign these to 'Mackie control'.
Check transport is working. Enable primary MIDI input, the one which transfer keys, so you can play soft-synth.

This did it for me! It's not perfect (loop control doesn't work, and all knobs do nothing), but it is a good start! Thanks so much!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mike Locus said:

Got it.  Works now.  Here's what I did and thanks to   Guerilla Genus above for the clue:  ...don't use Act.  Just Mackie Control.  Set DAW on controller to Cubase.  I think that's all you need to do.  Controller was not stable at first but with a reboot... seems to be stable now.  -All sliders/banks, knobs & banks. Pads& banks.  The only thing 'not'  is the circle button which I expected to arm the track for recording. 

Disable Handshake. >Utilities>Mackie#. Seems to be working for the moment.

Edited by Mike Locus
updating data

• 2 weeks later...

How do I get to the Mackie-1 control settings screen? (with F1, f2...F8, etc) where I can set it to HUI(beta)?
As described above I have added ACT Midi Controller and set it to input MIDIIN3 and MIDIOUT3.
I have added Mackie-Control-1 with MIDIIN3 selected just as in the picture above. But it does not work.
What am I missing? Transport buttons are not working. I don't have to midi learn them? Pls help...
Thx - Johan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

after following this forum for the last year, I got my Oxygen Pro 61 temporarily working. But it was fickle.  I had set up two ACT Controllers. One for the tracks and one for the Bus (like Master slider, etc.)

Usually I had to activate the ACT Interfaces by righ-clicking on the colored strips in Console view. But sometimes it did not work.

So I went another route today. I switched my keyboard to Logic and went for a Mackie controller and activated HUI. That was already quite impressive as the loop button worked as well as all sliders. But I really like to use the master slider and there seemed to be no way to control that. So I did the following. I read the presets from logic in the Oxygen preset editor, changed slider #9 to CC and send it to the last space in the DAW presets. I can access this mixed controller whenever I need, now. I call it "Cakewal". So I know what I must look for.

After that I set up an ACT controller for the BUS. In options I had to disable the rotary controls, otherwise there was an unwanted influence of the slider to the panning of the master track. Anyway, everything works now as it is supposed to be. 🙂

Edited by Kai-Jürgen Lietz

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the basics:

1.  On the controller set DAW Mode to Cubase.

2. In cakewalk: preferences > control surfaces > add Mackie Control > select in/out ports (mine's is currently set to MIDIIN3/MIDIOUT3.

3. > Utilities (from the topof cakewalk main menu) > select Mackie Control (wait for 'Mackie Control' window to open, may take a few secs).  On the right side select "DISABLE HANDSHAKE"

4.  You will have to teach cakewalk what knobs control what - in BOTH DAW mode and Preset mode (for vst instruments etc.).  This is done using the ACT Module while in either mode.  Generally you move the knob or slider first with your mouse then with the slider on on your 02 controller.  You will see the knob/slider take control and move the cakewalk item.  BTW I assume you want to assign faders and knobs in Console view. 

You may also want to check what I did with the AZ Controller plugin:

Also note that DAW presets commands are received through the 'MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro 61)'  interface, but plugin presets command are received through the 'Oxygen Pro 61' interface. What I ended up doing is create an entry of AZ Controller for DAW mode and an entry for ACT midi controller to use ACT for plugins with WAI disabled. I only want WAI to be controlled by AZ Controller. I can then use ACT learn for plugins. It works very well that way. I guess I could disable ACT for the AZ Controller since I don't use it there...

image.png.cf667c48627d2171c1c0204f2004645a.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems there are so many ways to set your keyboard up for controlling Cakewalk.

I learnt from the posts in this thread but went a little different route (Mackie/HUI) when it did not work consistently for me.

I made a YouTube video about my solution: 

Hope, this helps others to find their way through this.

• Like 1

Thanks @Kai-Jürgen Lietz for your video. I've been following this thread for awhile now, and even posted some of my findings here.  After watching your video I tried to reproduce your results but things didn't work the same for me. For example, when I loaded the preset for Logic and looked at the preset editor, all controls were set for Mackie, not HUI.

I have the Oxygen Pro 49 (purchased a year ago) and it occured to me that maybe I had old firmware. So first step for me was to download/install the latest firmware V2.1.1  Now when I look at the preset for Logic, all controls are set to HUI.

I think this could explain why so many people here are seeing different results if different FW versions are sending different types of commands.

However, I still can't get the Logic preset to work properly with Cakewalk. For me, the best is to use one of the presets that use Mackie controls (Studio1, Bitwig, Cubase, Reaper, and FLStudio all default to Mackie). Most controls work properly except for the Loop button and Pan knobs. Pan is inconsistent; works better on Bitwig than the others but even that is somewhat unstable.  So I use ACT to change the settings for Pan knobs and Loop button.

It's important to note that Handshake must be disabled in the Mackie Control settings. That's probably why I couldn't get any of the Mackie controls to work the first time I tried all the DAW presets (Handshake is enabled by default).

I'm working on typing up a step-by-step instruction on how I got everything to work for anyone who is still struggling.  I had given up with most of the controls on my Oxygen keyboard, now it's all working perfectly.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread; this has been a huge learning experience for me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! 

First I would like to thank everyone on this thread for contributing their struggles and successes to get their Oxygen keyboards working to control Cakewalk. I was struggling all over the place until I found resources on this thread.

I recently bought an M-Audio Hammer 88 PRO and as noted, it's very closely related to all the Oxygen keyboards in terms of its layout and design. So most of the info for the Oxygen applies to the Hammer 88 Pro. I was able to get mine working consistently, with more than 66 tracks (I gave up after that many).

If anyone is interested, I assembled a tutorial on how I got it working in Cakewalk.  I think anyone who has lingering issues with their Oxygen may also benefit.  I got Faders (incl. Master), Rotaries, and transport (except Loop) working 100%. I believe these steps will work with the Oxygen keyboards as well. And no Preset Editor required!

the TL;DR- Create Cakewalk Mackie Control Surface, Keyboard: BITWIG Preset, ACT (Control Group Bus) Training S1 with Fader 9 on the keyboard. Avoid Preset Editor - corrupts the very useful BITWIG and any other preset (at least with the Hammer 88 Pro).

For the details, check it out: 

21 hours ago, Jesse Wolfe said:

Hello everyone! 

First I would like to thank everyone on this thread for contributing their struggles and successes to get their Oxygen keyboards working to control Cakewalk. I was struggling all over the place until I found resources on this thread.

I recently bought an M-Audio Hammer 88 PRO and as noted, it's very closely related to all the Oxygen keyboards in terms of its layout and design. So most of the info for the Oxygen applies to the Hammer 88 Pro. I was able to get mine working consistently, with more than 66 tracks (I gave up after that many).

If anyone is interested, I assembled a tutorial on how I got it working in Cakewalk.  I think anyone who has lingering issues with their Oxygen may also benefit.  I got Faders (incl. Master), Rotaries, and transport (except Loop) working 100%. I believe these steps will work with the Oxygen keyboards as well. And no Preset Editor required!

the TL;DR- Create Cakewalk Mackie Control Surface, Keyboard: BITWIG Preset, ACT (Control Group Bus) Training S1 with Fader 9 on the keyboard. Avoid Preset Editor - corrupts the very useful BITWIG and any other preset (at least with the Hammer 88 Pro).

For the details, check it out: 

Thanks Jesse!

As you've  noticed, there's a huge learning curve when starting out and it's been very helpful to see what others have tried.

I'm also using the Bitwig preset; most controls work immediately (except for the Loop function).

I found a way to get Fader 9 working without using ACT training, you might be interested in my method. In Cakewalk's Mackie Control dialog box (Utilities --> Mackie Control - 1) I changed the Master Fader to Bus (I think default was Master).  Now F9 controls the volume on the Master Bus.

As you pointed out, using the M-Audio preset editor does some weird things with the Bitwig preset, especially with regard to Pan and Pitch shift.

Screenshot (27)_LI.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I wouldn't change the preprogrammed DAWs in your M-Audio keyboard since you can load one into the preset editor as a template for example Bitwig and save it on the last position that is called "Custom" and you can call it whatever you want. 🙂

@Mike Maybe the presets are different because I updated the firmware? There was one when I bought my M-Audio and it was literally the first thing I did after setting it up.

Have fun!

Kai

Edited by Kai-Jürgen Lietz

Hello all

I see this thread has been going for a bit.  I'm in the process of getting a new midi keyboard.  I was looking at the M-Audio oxygen series keyboards.  It looks like it has been a journey for most of you to get this thing working.  I'm pretty new to music recording and have a basic concept of how this stuff goes together.  I'm excited to be able to record music and put it together to make a song.  So far for my journey I feel like I have spent more time watching videos and reading threads then actually making music.  I want a keyboard so I can play some cords and do some drum stuff.  I have a M-Audio axiom 25 controller now and have no idea how to get it to work with cakewalk.  other than the keys I can't get the pads to work.  Anyway, I was thinking maybe i should get a new controller and that will be easier.  but it looks like it's just as much of a headache.  So, to the point of this.  Is it worth it to get this controller or should i be looking for another one?  I really like the look of it, and it has all those pads.  and weighted keys.  I don't know if this resonates with you or not but i want to make music.  Not spend my very little spare time being a programmer.  Once you have it set up is it all you thought it would be?  are you making the music you hear in your head?  Any suggestions would be great.  

• 3 months later...

VICTORIA!!! New Cakewalk function!

1. Cakewalk > Onli Mackie control > Seting Mackie control > Next "Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode)"...

2, Oxygen Pro > Next DAW > Cubase...

It works with basic functions.
This does not work with VST plugins. Any ideas?

Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode). Emulates Mackie’s Cubase/Nuendo button layout.

image.png.a6a38f4f35a81a7ffc3a8a49aec22dbd.png