Audio engine problem

George D

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Has nothing to do with newer CPU's its how parallel processing of audio workloads is handled. But as I said I cannot comment until we have your project.
If your project file plays ok on a different PC then you would need to troubleshoot at the PC level.

Is it common the phenomenon the engine to load 100% and the audio processing to be lower or they usually go to the same level?

Just downloaded reaper and insert the project of cakewalk there. I also insert the same plugins and the project did not drop out. I've insert twice the time the plugins of cakewalk and the cpu reached 65-70% and started to have some clicks and pops.

Edited by George D

17 hours ago, George D said:

Is it common the phenomenon the engine to load 100% and the audio processing to be lower or they usually go to the same level?

Just downloaded reaper and insert the project of cakewalk there. I also insert the same plugins and the project did not drop out. I've insert twice the time the plugins of cakewalk and the cpu reached 65-70% and started to have some clicks and pops.

Cakewalk always works in "real time", REAPER by default use anticipative engine. The later has obvious advantages, but there are some disadvantages as well (f.e. try to live play with several tiny "look ahead" plug-ins...).

To really compare, record arm all tracks in REAPER (or switch off anticipative processing). I must admit that in most cases I still get better performance in REAPER and I was really surprised when I hit opposite the first time, but under some conditions Cakewalk can deal with the same project in real-time better.

Some people have switched to REAPER for this (and other) reasons, but other stay with Cakewalk or use both (or even more DAWs), also for good reasons...

In any case, I always recommend to have REAPER+ReaCWP installed near Cakewalk. In case of questions and/or troubles (what is plug-in CPU load on each track? which plug-ins have "look ahead"? which plug-in is crashing the DAW? etc.), just open the project in REAPER and check performance meter/use plug-ins isolation/other "debugging" tools. Sure, most real projects will not sound the same (no Cakewalk specific plug-ins except ProChannel EQ will work after conversion, along with other differences), but for debugging that should be more then sufficient.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 9:30 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Has nothing to do with newer CPU's its how parallel processing of audio workloads is handled. But as I said I cannot comment until we have your project.
If your project file plays ok on a different PC then you would need to troubleshoot at the PC level.

No problem with my PC Noel. 

• 3 weeks later...