Audio engine problem

George D

The meters of the audio processing is about 30% and the engine load goes above 100% and the project drops out....

I have 16 cores in my AMD 3950X CPU and 32 mb of ram but if I understand right the engine of Cakewalk can't handle them.

I have try every possible solution from the setting of the cakewalk and the setting of windows without resolution.

Is there anybody else with the same problen and could figure it out?

That's great, but still your not giving any info about when and how.

In the other thread you replied in this was made clear that dropouts will happen in any system and any DAW but it depends on what you are trying to do that will make it happen. If this happens with 1 plug in running you have an issue but 40 plug ins running is a different kettle of fish. 

8 minutes ago, John Vere said:

That's great, but still your not giving any info about when and how.

In the other thread you replied in this was made clear that dropouts will happen in any system and any DAW but it depends on what you are trying to do that will make it happen. If this happens with 1 plug in running you have an issue but 40 plug ins running is a different kettle of fish. 

Happens in every project that I'm mixing where I'm using 1-2 (heavy)plugins  per channel.  I don't know if the problem is the plethora of the plugins because the cpu works at the 25% but even if I'm using the biggest buffer size Cakewalk doesn't uses the 75% of my CPU.

I think there's a way to make that work. Sorry I have no experience with anything more than 6 cores on mine. But I think I've seen lots of threads about your issue. Did you try Google just type in using 16 cores in Cakewalk I guess. 

Edited by John Vere

25 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

My 3900x works just fine

Mark,

what's the amount of the audio processing meter according the engine loading?

Does your system uses all the power of the CPU bedore the engine drops out?

My cpu goes to 25% and the same time the engine is about 95-110% and or drops out or clicking and poping.

Just a thought... do you have plugin load balancing enabled? This attempts to spread the CPU load of fx plugins over all the cores:

image.png.57c9a42c37f7361b40d2c5b77550724f.png

This does have its limitations however:

• It only works for ASIO buffer sizes >= 128
  • It only applies to VST effects, not VSTi synths ( many of these have their own load balancing built-in, and this clashes with CbB's attempts to load balance )

BTW - a workaround for synths that don't load balance themselves is to use the JBridge wrapper, as this will cause the plugin to be loaded in its own process and allow Windows to do the load balancing for you.

Its impossible to offer suggestions without knowing the setup of the project. Load is not distributed equally because of serial dependencies for audio processing. If you have one plugin in a track that takes a long time to process, it will become a bottleneck even though other tracks have low load, because the engine has to wait for the track to finish before it can be mixed. If you post your project file it may become more clear where the bottlenecks lie in your case.

2 hours ago, George D said:

Mark,

what's the amount of the audio processing meter according the engine loading?

Does your system uses all the power of the CPU bedore the engine drops out?

My cpu goes to 25% and the same time the engine is about 95-110% and or drops out or clicking and poping.

I just looked at a competed project, with about 30 tracks, 40 active plugins, most of the VSTi's have been bounced for archiving though, this is a screengrab at 128 sample buffer, although I'd have to run this at 256 to not have any late bufers. It's not popping or crackling though.

image.thumb.png.0818d8563dd0a0e93c5bcd32f2713233.png  

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

25 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Its impossible to offer suggestions without knowing the setup of the project. Load is not distributed equally because of serial dependencies for audio processing. If you have one plugin in a track that takes a long time to process, it will become a bottleneck even though other tracks have low load, because the engine has to wait for the track to finish before it can be mixed. If you post your project file it may become more clear where the bottlenecks lie in your case.

I have 7 instances of IK multimedia tapes (1024 buffers - 96 khz). If I put another one instance dropout.

What I would think is the only way to prove this is Cakewalks audio engine is to transfer this project into another DAW. There are many that you can demo. Cubase is easy to use, I have transferred project into it without issue other than pre channel stuff you need to set up differently. 

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/trial/      It's only $100 for Elements which is all I need. Some Cakewalk Plug in won't work like BT. 

Another DAW that I've transferred Cakewalk projects into,, bought it on sale for $30 back when Sonar was abandoned. 

https://harrisonconsoles.com/product/mixbus/

Both of these just gather dust but it was worth it just to make sure the grass isn't greener. 

Edited by John Vere

2 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Where do you have these instances? In different tracks, stacked up or in buses.
Best thing is to post the cwp file so others can see the layout of the plugins and the exact routing.

@Noel Borthwick I've tried every scenario and the loading engine corrupts before the CPU loads before 30-33%. Is that a normal thing or not?

Like above post from Mark, I think that this is maybe the normal. The engine of Cakewalk can't make use of all the horsepower of newest Cpu's.