Any one use Cloud Storage?

aidan o driscoll

3 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Can you explain your NAS a little? What software controls it? I'm thinking of building one from an old i5 cpu based mobo I have in a case. I even have a video card. Just need drives and older ram. But I can't seem to find info on what software it is that runs them.

I bought a commercial NAS (Buffalo). I just point my Acronis to a specific NAS location (mapped drive on the DAW, and my www surfer machine).

2 hours ago, Cookie Jarvis said:

Blu-ray burner :)

Bill

Hah. I've always read that backing up on to discs is bad because they go bad and laser rot and yadda yadda yadda. Yet I have two huge boxes full of them I burned over 25 years ago that still work perfectly. My first adventure in computing was when I wanted to add a SCSI CD burner to my system. I got exactly 0 good burns out of it before I ripped it out and threw it away.

35 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I bought a commercial NAS (Buffalo). I just point my Acronis to a specific NAS location (mapped drive on the DAW, and my www surfer machine).

Thanks. I'm thinking they don't have an OS at all actually. I know the RAID part is set up in BIOS and you can format them with a bootable USB thumb drive. I bet that's what it is. I'll look on youtube once I find new adblockers. They figured out how to defeat the ones I use and it's near impossible to watch youtube now. Uhg.

My main song writing motivation died a few decades ago when I saved all of my work on a new media that was supposed to be "Safe for 30 years!"  It was Panasonic's Phase Digitals (PD's).  Ever heard of them?  Yeah...  Exactly.  They were one of the new type of optical storage media that was just coming out (think CD on steroids, closer to DVD's which weren't out yet).  Unfortunately, my main hard drive died and, when I went to get everything off of my PD backup, I found that the drive was unreadable.  I tried to find a service that could salvage anything, but nobody else had a Phase Digital drive and the hard drive was a complete loss too... 😢

As mentioned in another thread, my main computer now has over 22 TB's between SSD's and spinners, plus I have Carbonite's top subscription along with a Dropbox (Business) subscription.  Add to this an almost-full Google Drive and a rarely used One Drive, and I've got a lot of stuff saved everywhere!

2 minutes ago, craigb said:

As mentioned in another thread, my main computer now has over 22 TB's between SSD's and spinners, plus I have Carbonite's top subscription along with a Dropbox (Business) subscription.  Add to this an almost-full Google Drive and a rarely used One Drive, and I've got a lot of stuff saved everywhere!

Thats why I am looking at this iDRIVE @$55 per annum for 5TB .. OK, I dont have 22TB of data :D .. But my main thing is IF A SYSTEM fails its a pain in ***** to reinstall all the Kontakt Libraries and vsts etc, so upload them for safe keeping to that iDRIVE 5TB. Also use it to backup project files.

Dont need sync on and can drag drop manually via browser from windows explorer to upload. Basically simple, treating it as a virtual USB Drive in the cloud. Very Secure and less likely to breakdown than a USB Drive or internal SATA / SSD Drives I imagine