Your 2020 best purchase ?

Zo

I left it late - my purchase of the year came yesterday, 27 December in the form of Scaler 2. I also bought the Plugin Boutique video course for it for an additional $10 or something like that. I’ve spent several hours going through the videos which are crystal clear and highly recommended,  typing notes as I go as I have a sieve like brain. 

Biggest game changer for me as a songwriter since EZ Keys. In fact, for the way I work, I think I’ll use it more than EZ Keys going forward. Several jaw dropping moments. One of the best was setting Scaler as the input to Trilian  - truly gobsmackingly gorgeous bass lines! Wow. Wow. Wow. Can’t wait to get working with this thing! 😃

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I left it late - my purchase of the year came yesterday, 27 December in the form of Scaler 2. I also bought the Plugin Boutique video course for it for an additional $10 or something like that. I’ve spent several hours going through the videos which are crystal clear and highly recommended,  typing notes as I go as I have a sieve like brain. 

Biggest game changer for me as a songwriter since EZ Keys. In fact, for the way I work, I think I’ll use it more than EZ Keys going forward. Several jaw dropping moments. One of the best was setting Scaler as the input to Trilian  - truly gobsmackingly gorgeous bass lines! Wow. Wow. Wow. Can’t wait to get working with this thing! 😃

Great tip on the video course! I got Scaler 2 recently, and I believe I will need a proper orientation.

The current v2.2 has got so many features, it's hard to tell where to start! 🤪

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

Great tip on the video course! I got Scaler 2 recently, and I believe I will need a proper orientation.

Exactly! That’s what’s stopped me buying it before now. My “go to” for getting my head around new stuff is Groove 3, but they don’t cover Scaler, but Plugin Boutique’s course is equally professional 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

I'd go through this playlist.  The plugin boutique course (i.e. Producer Guide) is good also (which I'm not sure if it has been updated with the 2.2 features, I'm thinking it is outdated as it was released right at the time 2.0 came on the scene), but there really is plenty for Free to get started by one of the Co-Devs on the project.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I'd go through this playlist.  The plugin boutique course (i.e. Producer Guide) is good also (which I'm not sure if it has been updated with the 2.2 features, I'm thinking it is outdated as it was released right at the time 2.0 came on the scene), but there really is plenty for Free to get started by one of the Co-Devs on the project.

Yes, another excellent resource. 

Here is the full YouTube playlist for Scaler from Plugin Boutique, which provides a good feature overview. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFWyKYiiiIjAyooer13GbqA

But I think I will still pick up the Producer's Guide because it goes over several workflow scenarios which I think would be useful, plus gets into some practical hands on use. Things such as chords and accompaniment, basslines, to creating a full arrangement.

• Great Idea 1

My best purchase is also hardware:  My dual CPU 24-core 96GB RAM studio computer upgrade.  Having been in IT, I was able to find a nice enterprise-class workstation pull of a model that's known to be rock solid for Cubase (I believe Pro Tools also officially supports them) at a steal of a deal.

If I squeeze in a new control surface before the end of the year (unlikely), that will probably get honorable mention.

For non-musical purchases, if gifts count my wife got me a nice bottle of Lagavulin 16 that will last into 2021.  The Nick Offerman bottle (an 11 year) only has a little left so that's going to be a goner before 2020 is over.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

Exactly! That’s what’s stopped me buying it before now. My “go to” for getting my head around new stuff is Groove 3, but they don’t cover Scaler, but Plugin Boutique’s course is equally professional 

And don't forget to check if you have any tokens accumulated at Plugin Boutique!

They covert to Virtual Cash at £1.25 each! I just found 6 of them in my account! 🙂

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, abacab said:

And don't forget to check if you have any tokens accumulated at Plugin Boutique!

They covert to Virtual Cash at £1.25 each! I just found 6 of them in my account! 🙂

always a good idea to leave at least 1 token in the account imo, as sometimes they have really good deals in the rewards sections that need a token to unlock (and you can't go the other way, from virtual cash to tokens).  I'm speaking from my experience in repeatedly not having done that...

• Great Idea 2

18 minutes ago, Paul_in_wales said:

always a good idea to leave at least 1 token in the account imo, as sometimes they have really good deals in the rewards sections that need a token to unlock (and you can't go the other way, from virtual cash to tokens).  I'm speaking from my experience in repeatedly not having done that...

Great minds think alike, LOL! That's exactly what I did. Redeemed 5 of them, keeping 1 on standby... 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

For non-musical purchases, if gifts count my wife got me a nice bottle of Lagavulin 16 that will last into 2021.  The Nick Offerman bottle (an 11 year) only has a little left so that's going to be a goner before 2020 is over.

... and I can finally crack that Macallan 1981 to celebrate the year I found the love of my life. 

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 2