Your 2020 best purchase ?

Zo

13 hours ago, BassDaddy said:

Wow!! I would LOVE to hear more about that!

13 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Inquiring minds want to know.
@Bajan Blue Maybe post some examples...

t

Guys

to my ears the library just sounds so alive - I've just finished writing our next album, so I am now going through to record it all properly - part of that is replacing many of the existing drums with Legacy of rock. I'll try and get a couple of samples of just the drums and post them so you can have a listen

Nigel

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

My best purchase is also hardware:  My dual CPU 24-core 96GB RAM studio computer upgrade.  Having been in IT, I was able to find a nice enterprise-class workstation pull of a model that's known to be rock solid for Cubase (I believe Pro Tools also officially supports them) at a steal of a deal.

If I squeeze in a new control surface before the end of the year (unlikely), that will probably get honorable mention.

For non-musical purchases, if gifts count my wife got me a nice bottle of Lagavulin 16 that will last into 2021.  The Nick Offerman bottle (an 11 year) only has a little left so that's going to be a goner before 2020 is over.

Z 800 ? Dell ? Lenovo ?

Don't have it in hand yet (ships tomorrow), but I bought a laptop to replace my early 2012 Dell XPS8500.

I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad P17, spec'd as follows:

Configuration Details
●  Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10885H Processor with vPro™ (2.40 GHz, up to 5.30 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16 MB Cache)
●  Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
●  Display Type: 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 500 nits
●  Memory: 32 GB DDR4 2933MHz (2 x 16 GB)
●  Hard Drive: 1 TB PCIe SSD
●  Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
●  AC Adapter: 230W
●  Graphics: NVIDIA® Quadro® RTX™ 3000 6GB
●  Camera: IR & 720p HD
●  Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
●  Keyboard: Backlit with Number Pad - US English
●  Wireless: Intel® Wi-Fi 6™ AX201 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.1 with vPro™

$4829 list. Sale price $2799 direct (sale ends tomorrow, 12/30). I added the Thunderbolt 3 dock ($420 list). With an additional $400+ senior discount, I bought both for just under $3000, tax included!

Then I went nuts and bought a Samsung 2 TB X5 Thunderbolt 3 drive (for samples), 2 Samsung 2 TB X7 USB 3.2 drives (one for Documents folder and one for my ripped CD collection), and a Pioneer 4K blu-ray/DVD player/burner.

Merry Christmas to me, and to everyone of you!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John Maar said:

Don't have it in hand yet (ships tomorrow), but I bought a laptop to replace my early 2012 Dell XPS8500.

I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad P17, spec'd as follows:

Configuration Details
●  Processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-10885H Processor with vPro™ (2.40 GHz, up to 5.30 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 Cores, 16 Threads, 16 MB Cache)
●  Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
●  Display Type: 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, anti-glare with Dolby Vision™, HDR 400, 500 nits
●  Memory: 32 GB DDR4 2933MHz (2 x 16 GB)
●  Hard Drive: 1 TB PCIe SSD
●  Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
●  AC Adapter: 230W
●  Graphics: NVIDIA® Quadro® RTX™ 3000 6GB
●  Camera: IR & 720p HD
●  Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
●  Keyboard: Backlit with Number Pad - US English
●  Wireless: Intel® Wi-Fi 6™ AX201 802.11AX (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.1 with vPro™

$4829 list. Sale price $2799 direct (sale ends tomorrow, 12/30). I added the Thunderbolt 3 dock ($420 list). With an additional $400+ senior discount, I bought both for just under $3000, tax included!

Then I went nuts and bought a Samsung 2 TB X5 Thunderbolt 3 drive (for samples), 2 Samsung 2 TB X7 USB 3.2 drives (one for Documents folder and one for my ripped CD collection), and a Pioneer 4K blu-ray/DVD player/burner.

Merry Christmas to me, and to everyone of you!

I was about to jump on a X1 extreme higly speced myself but decide to invest in UAD , i'm ttired of upgrading 3 comps each time , at least 2 comps now (Mac is dead and i ain'yt getting any mac) , P series is imho a long term investment , great choice .... be sure to :

1) customise power management (in windows 10 they sometime hide it , there's a manipulation to get it back ) and put cooling to passive , it will vent but way less noisy 

2) UHD might be to much at least you got a 17 " still can't understand why they still don't proposes 1440 p  it's beyong sanity !!!

3) Congrats !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Z 800 ? Dell ? Lenovo ?

Z840 workstation.

28 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Is that how IK-Team gets inspiration ;)  😜

Happy New Year Pete!  Here is to another good year for IK-Multimedia.

Well that's at least how I get inspiration :D  Thank you for the kind words, and happy new year and here's to another good year for you and everybody here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Z840 workstation.

Well that's at least how I get inspiration :D  Thank you for the kind words, and happy new year and here's to another good year for you and everybody here.

I knew it ;) those HP's are beasts , great choice Peter !!  From the Z1 (mac mini killer) to the 800 ...everything in the line is dope !!

Serves us some more GTR's playing Peter !!

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 4:27 PM, Zo said:

Ok just for fun , what was your best 2020 purchase (and why ) , try to choose only one ...

I just did my best purchase of the year: I got u-he's Zebra, ZebraHZ and Diva on the NI's sale. Please, just don't ask me which one of these is the best, though.

I loose a similar sale a couple of years ago 'cause I waited too much. Not this time.

It was a bit more than I was planning to spend but... it's u-He anyway! And I believe they're doing this kind of sale in partnership with NI just because they adopted the NKS standard. Lucky me/us ! 🙂

Anyway, "best" is a very imprecise term in this context. It could be many things. Best softsynths? Still u-he IMO.

But if I was choosing the best "bang for the buck" of the year it'd be the IK Goup Buy for sure. YMMV.

Just now, Sergio said:

I just did my best purchase of the year: I got u-he's Zebra, ZebraHZ and Diva on the NI's sale. Please, just don't ask me which one of these is the best, though.

I loose a similar sale a couple of years ago 'cause I waited too much. Not this time.

It was a bit more than I was planning to spend but... it's u-He anyway! And I believe they're doing this kind of sale in partnership with NI just because they adopted the NKS standard. Lucky me/us ! 🙂

Anyway, "best" is a very imprecise term in this context. It could be many things. Best softsynths? Still u-he IMO.

But if I was choosing the best "bang for the buck" of the year it'd be the IK Goup Buy for sure. YMMV.

Solid choice , i have those , paid way more , and i don't regret ....

The only thing i regret is now taking more attentioj to plugin i purcahse specially their resell value / possibility 

• Like 1

Komplete 12 Ultimate upgrade from K11U for $192, which automatically upgraded to K13U two weeks later. It was a sale in which you had to buy the USB drive from a seller in Europe. It was also nice being able to install 3+ GB libraries in a trice.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 8:31 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Guys

to my ears the library just sounds so alive - I've just finished writing our next album, so I am now going through to record it all properly - part of that is replacing many of the existing drums with Legacy of rock. I'll try and get a couple of samples of just the drums and post them so you can have a listen

Nigel

A quick sample from a track I am working on at the moment - this is not mixed at all, just straight out the box so to speak

Nigel

Legacy Rock sample-Entire Mix (Bounced).mp3

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2020 at 11:58 AM, Sergio said:
  On 12/26/2020 at 2:27 PM, Zo said:

Ok just for fun , what was your best 2020 purchase (and why ) , try to choose only one ...

With all of the Covid downtime, this year produced the most studio improvements and much needed maintenance since I first started to dabble. My best 2020 purchase was TB_morphit headphone correction, because I've never worked with monitors, and I finally appreciate the value of getting a "flattish" response out of my "good" headphones.  Mixing, mastering, and ear fatigue have all improved.

• Like 2

Since I've been working on a 4+ year old laptop for quite a while (i5-7200U) an upgrade and a return to a desktop PC was a welcome change.
Pretty content I managed to build a new PC  with a Ryzen 5 5600X  (only €14 above MSRP) and 32 GB of RAM (only €16 above MSRP).
I did manage to actually save €31 on the motherboard so it evened out in the end.
Then again, all this was at the end of November, just before PC parts prices went up everywhere.