Is there a way to move Melodyne track edits?

Kayte Deioma

Question

I removed some measures between verses of a song, and when I played it back, there was a vocal that was like an echo that continued 6 measures after the end of the track. I tracked it down to Melodyne at the track level, which was playing the vocal in its original position.

I know Melodyne is wonky and can be completely undone by any track edits like trimming or splitting clips after adjustments are made, so I usually render any tracks with Melodyne right away, but I just switched to Cakewalk and was distracted by the learning curve, so I have active Melodyne on 3 tracks.  

Is there a way to move the Melodyne adjustments to line up with where the vocal is now without redoing it all? And Is there a setting in Melodyne or Cakewalk that would make changes in track arrangements take the Melodyne adjustments along with the arranger sections when they’re moved. 

I know Melodyne can be applied on the clip rather than the track, and hopefully I’ll remember to do that in the future, but if there’s a setting that would help prevent this from happening again and a way to fix the current problem, that would be helpful. 

2 answers to this question

17 hours ago, Kayte Deioma said:

I removed some measures between verses of a song, and when I played it back, there was a vocal that was like an echo that continued 6 measures after the end of the track. I tracked it down to Melodyne at the track level, which was playing the vocal in its original position.

If measures were removed, that should be obvious in the waveform. Show take lanes and it may show the original clip as take 1 and the melodyne edited clip as take 2. I say "may" because it doesn't seem to always seem to happen and I haven't dug in to find the reason.

Also if you open the audio folder and change select Name, Length, Bit rate, Size, Date last saved, Date modified and Type Columns for display, you'll probably be able to better understand what melodyne is doing. Again, I haven't completely verified this, but, AFAIK, there will be at least 3 versions of the clip you edited: The version you recorded, the version Melodyne "imported/created" and the version Melodyne "rendered." The first two (recorded & imported) should be identical. I use quotation marks for the Melodyne clip descriptions because I don't know what they are called in Cakewalk and Melodyne documentation.

Also if you select a portion of a clip for Melodyne editing, two or three clips will be created by rendering. But still if you look at and play the before and after clips you should be able to understand what happened.

17 hours ago, Kayte Deioma said:

I know Melodyne is wonky and can be completely undone by any track edits like trimming or splitting clips after adjustments are made, so I usually render any tracks with Melodyne right away, but I just switched to Cakewalk and was distracted by the learning curve, so I have active Melodyne on 3 tracks. 

I don't think Melodyne is "wonky." Hopefully you don't edit clips that are currently "Melodyne Region Effect" before they are closed or rendered. Not sure what would happen if you did.

18 hours ago, Kayte Deioma said:

Is there a way to move the Melodyne adjustments to line up with where the vocal is now without redoing it all? And Is there a setting in Melodyne or Cakewalk that would make changes in track arrangements take the Melodyne adjustments along with the arranger sections when they’re moved.

If you removed measures in Melodyne and you want to close the gap, move the portion of the clip after the measures that were removed to the left to line up with the measure where you want them to play.

18 hours ago, Kayte Deioma said:

I know Melodyne can be applied on the clip rather than the track, and hopefully I’ll remember to do that in the future, but if there’s a setting that would help prevent this from happening again and a way to fix the current problem, that would be helpful. 

Not sure what the problem is here.  As long as your computer can handle it, having multiple instances of Melodyne region FX is not a problem unless they are on the same clip if that's even possible. You just need to render or close any Melodyne region FX before you edit a clip containing a region FX. I'm not saying that can't be done. I'm saying it's probably not a good idea.

You should   (  in my opinion ) " Bounce to Clips " to render the Melodyne track, and see where you are.  Do the necessary splits to drag parts in CbB.  Then maybe open another Melodyne region if you need  to.

Edited by RBH