Problem with routing MIDI to VST

Jim Brady

This should be simple, but I'm having trouble with it.

I have a general MIDI file that I opened with Cakewalk:

image.thumb.png.e252b57bc076d9cd6eaa339952fbd603.png

I want to have the bass track play with the SI Bass VST.  So I insert the Soft Synth:

image.png.898b0907464f735538efa76f1d245b61.png

I change the output of Track 1 to SI Bass Guitar and picked a patch on the VST and when I hit play - no bass;

image.png.8aaf06d243e3c774abe6a8dee396c905.png

So, what am I doing wrong here??  There is no option to set Track 12 output to the Master Bus.  I have played around trying to match channels, etc, but to avail.  Please help!

image.png

Yes, there is that too.

Did too fast a read of the OP.

A complete routing includes the MIDI source track and a target audio track (or an instrument track with is a combination of both MIDI and audio tracks in a single track presentation).

In this case, MIDI for the Bass already exists in its own track so all that is needed is the synth and an audio track.

Adding the synth with the options shown in the image above will automatically add the requisite audio track properly routed to the synth.

Then all that is needed to change the output on the Bass MIDI track to SI-Bass to complete the routing.

• Like 1

There was another thread with a similar problem. [See link in the quote below.]  I was curious about it and based on a post by scook [see quote below], I tracked down the problem in someone else's file to the bend sensitivity parameter in the midi file that SI-Bass didn't like.  My post is here.

The audio engine in Cakewalk sfz synths (including the Studio Instrument series) shut down when encountering certain NRPN instructions in their MIDI tracks. To avoid this either remove the data from the MIDI tracks using the Event List View or enable "Do not intercept NRPNs" on the VST Plug-in properties page . . . .  [See this.]

Not sure your issue is an RPN or NRPN in the midi file shutting down the audio in SI-Bass, but it might be worth looking at the Event List [which is not available if you are using the Basic Workspace--among other times].    

Edited by User 905133

26 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

There was another thread with a similar problem. [See link in the quote below.]  I was curious about it and based on a post by scook [see quote below], I tracked down the problem in someone else's file to the bend sensitivity parameter in the midi file that SI-Bass didn't like.  My post is here.

Not sure your issue is an RPN or NRPN in the midi file shutting down the audio in SI-Bass, but it might be worth looking at the Event List [which is not available if you are using the Basic Workspace--among other times].    

Took out all the NRPN events in the bass track, no change

It is kind of hard to follow this post

The first image

image.png

shows creating a new instance of a synth with a MIDI source track and the first synth audio output.

The only parts needed for SI-Bass is the Audio Track because the MIDI track (Track 1) is going to be the MIDI Source. 

But the extra MIDI track while not needed does not cause any problems.

The next image

image.png

Shows activity on Track 1 with its output set to an instance of SI-Bass. If this is the only instance of SI-Bass in the project then I suspect the problem is data related and my first post about 3rd party MIDI data is needed.

The last image

image.png

shows Track 1 routed back to TTS-1.

10 minutes ago, Jim BRady said:

Took out all the NRPN events in the bass track, no change

I find it easier to set the Properties dropdown to ignore the data.

But I cannot tell from the images supplied if the routing is correct.

Also may want to insure the notes are in the playable range for SI-Bass. 

Most of the SI-Bass programs start at MIDI note 36.