My New Video: How to Negotiate for Lower Prices on Music Hardware & Software

Reid Rosefelt

You all know a lot of this stuff, but this is my particular take on negotiation.

I've run two companies and have had many people ask me for raises.  It might seem like I had all the power as the boss, but in fact it was much more complicated.  To give a raise I  had to think about how much I would have to give everybody else in the company, as these things always get around.  And then, having raised my overhead for the year, what will happen the next year if business is bad and other monthly expenses go up?  And then people come to me for raises then?   And what if my most valued people go to other firms because they pay more? 

In all these situations, I thought of a producer I knew named Michael Peyser.  He would give my fair rate without haggling (so many producers try to get you to cut it, which is humiliating) but then he would tell me that he was going to try and get me more.  Of course he never did, but he made me feel valued.  So he used the opportunity to essentially give me no more than I always got, but to increase my affection and loyalty to him, which made me work harder.  I assume he did this for everybody, which is why his films came in under budget.  When a movie crew is unhappy they tend to work slower, which leads to double and triple time and millions of dollars in over-runs.

This story was supposed to get into this video, but I had technical difficulties (my first video with a DSLR) and what should have taken an hour or two took 8 hours and I had to quit.  Such are the trials of an aspiring YouTuber.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 2

Great video Reid.

You made a good point about timing. Earlier this year, there was a library on sale at APD. The library itself had two versions - one for Halion Player, and one for Omnisphere; only the Halion Player version was on sale. I wasn't too keen on installing Halion Player as this would be the only library I would have, so I emailed the developer to ask whether they'd be willing to sell me the Omnisphere version at the same price. They declined as it was a newer release, so I thought I'd just wait until a sale, maybe Black Friday. Black Friday eventually came, and there were loads of other offers going on, including one for a different pad tool that was a little more advanced; I ended up going for that instead, as even though it ended up costing a bit more, I think it was better suited for what I wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, antler said:

Great video Reid.

You made a good point about timing. Earlier this year, there was a library on sale at APD. The library itself had two versions - one for Halion Player, and one for Omnisphere; only the Halion Player version was on sale. I wasn't too keen on installing Halion Player as this would be the only library I would have, so I emailed the developer to ask whether they'd be willing to sell me the Omnisphere version at the same price. They declined as it was a newer release, so I thought I'd just wait until a sale, maybe Black Friday. Black Friday eventually came, and there were loads of other offers going on, including one for a different pad tool that was a little more advanced; I ended up going for that instead, as even though it ended up costing a bit more, I think it was better suited for what I wanted.

They knew when they said no to you that they might lose the sale, but that was their choice.

Enjoyed the vid Reid, especially the software part. On hardware, though, I’ve taken a slightly more aggressive percentage position over the years than you suggest (especially on higher priced items)while still, I believe, allowing for a fair return to the seller. In the end, either side can say no, and if you’ve conducted yourself without acrimony can do the same or another deal in the future.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Enjoyed the vid Reid, especially the software part. On hardware, though, I’ve taken a slightly more aggressive percentage position over the years than you suggest (especially on higher priced items)while still, I believe, allowing for a fair return to the seller. In the end, either side can say no, and if you’ve conducted yourself without acrimony can do the same or another deal in the future.

Sounds good.  Everybody has to work in their comfort zone.  I'm not saying that mine is the right one for everybody.  I was trying to suggest why I personally operate that way.   I certainly don't succeed with every negotiation.