Fall Of The Titans

Starise

This track is a Frankenstein of sorts. It wasn't made using only one large orchestral sample library. I used a little bit of almost everything. I have some Vienna synchron player, some Sampletank, some Sonivox, I loose track of what all else. It's a real hodge podge but it was fun to make.  I was thinking movie cinematic when I made it today. Comments welcome from all, especially from those who might have made music for film. Thanks.

• Like 2

I have listened to quite a lot of your stuff... this one seems very mechanical ... not real... cant explain what I mean.
I understand where you are coming from... seems a little to much false!

Sorry... we all paint very different pictures and as you know when we invite people to critically listen to our music we then get critical replies.  🙂

But the average guy in the street wouldn't notice what some of us talk about and would be happy listening on his ear buds or phone 🙂

• Like 1

On 12/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, jack c. said:

great recording. at the start the strings have a tad too many highs try low cut filter or eq high end.jack c. it sounds just like a pro symphony!the end needs a little tightening.

On 12/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, bjornpdx said:

Definitely cinematic tho I think it needs a fuller sound. Maybe add some/more reverb or slight delay? Double tracking?
Drums need to make their presence known - more boom!
Evokes a nice dramatic scene, like marching soldiers.

Thank you for comments on this.  May I ask what you're listening on?  Just a brief explanation of my signal chain for drums. I rolled off anything below 40hz (slope)  or it would eat up my overall signal. I EQ notched out the muddy mids at 250-500 but nothing more than a few db. I added Boz Bark Of  Dog 2 on bass channels and boosted the bass in the "thump ranges with it. I'm using a very high quality reverb with a hall setting. Lows rolled off on reverb. I am side chaining into the Cakewalk master compressor at 100hz or under. I have it set low so the needle is barely moving. I am sending anything bass to that side chain. For master I am  using Fabfilter to roll off lows below 30hz.>McDSP 4L4000 and following it up with a small amount of peak limiting at the end. Once again I'm keeping things less muddy using that plugin. I haven't cut any bass above 50hz. Open to suggestions.

On 12/27/2020 at 7:13 AM, Wookiee said:

Epic sound, but @Starise hope you do not mind me saying it sounds just a tad MIDI, perhaps  nudge here and a nudge there just to move the timing around a bit.

22 hours ago, garybrun said:

I have listened to quite a lot of your stuff... this one seems very mechanical ... not real... cant explain what I mean.
I understand where you are coming from... seems a little to much false!

Sorry... we all paint very different pictures and as you know when we invite people to critically listen to our music we then get critical replies.  🙂

But the average guy in the street wouldn't notice what some of us talk about and would be happy listening on his ear buds or phone 🙂

6 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Exactly what Wookie said! Apart from that I like it

Nigel

Thank you for bringing this tyo my attention!

No midi programming here other than sliding the odd note here and there.. I must be a very exact player  🙂 

The only thing mechanical is I'm using the free Big Bang orchestra in the synchron player for only the low strings and brass. The synchron player still requires a person to "play" it.  None of the runs in sychron are automated all hand played. But maybe that's what you hear. Drums are Sampletank 4 hand played.  Violins are played in with Amadeus. Horns are SONiVox hand played. 

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Starise said:

No midi programming here other than sliding the odd note here and there.. I must be a very exact player  🙂 

The only thing mechanical is I'm using the free Big Bang orchestra in the synchron player for only the low strings and brass. The synchron player still requires a person to "play" it.  None of the runs in sychron are automated all hand played. But maybe that's what you hear. Drums are Sampletank 4 hand played.  Violins are played in with Amadeus. Horns are SONiVox hand played. 

Thank you!

It is the low strings and brass:
I am impressed with the no midi stuff.  🙂

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:32 AM, Starise said:

No midi programming here other than sliding the odd note

Reminds of a tune (tunes aren't similar of course, the comments are) I posted years ago on Broadjam.
A surf tune my friend/long time collaborator had submitted to Taxi.
Someone was incensed by the "programmed" drums; boy was Jeff's drummer pissed (drum track was kind of Wipeout ish)
I told him to consider it as a compliment.

On 12/26/2020 at 12:54 PM, bjornpdx said:

Definitely cinematic tho I think it needs a fuller sound

Not quite a "Cinematic" soundstage, wish I had a solution for you (both of us really).

t

• Like 1