Freebies: What's Hot and What's Not

Magic Russ

That's fair.  There are some well done libraries I may or may not use, like Embertone's recorder or NI's Yangqin.

Also, after I posted this, I saw the Nova Keys freebie.  9 short samples of someone playing random notes on a piano.  Definitely a good example of one to avoid.

Edited by Magic Russ
  • Like 1

As it happen i just tested 2 new free synths.

Solcito Musica Arido 3.33 Full Free VSTi
Solcito Musica SuperSonico 7.45Full Free VSTi

They are free. A donation is welcome but not a must.

The sounds is common for a lot of synths and nothing special. They work perfectly ok but don't come close to such free synths like Surge, Odin2 and Vital.

You're not going to miss these if you skip them.

4 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

There are some well done libraries I may or may not use, like Embertone's recorder or NI's Yangqin.

Yangqin is indeed very nice quality for a freebie, but I'm struggling to see where I'm ever going to actually use it. Still, it pads out the NI browser and makes it look a little more impressive I guess.

• Like 2

My favorite right now is:

"Register at https://soundbetter.com  and get  Arturia's Analog Lab Lite and Izotope Ozone Elements 9 for free as member benefits."

If you don't have Ozone Elements 9, well, duh, get this.

I was kinda blown away by the great sounds come with Analog Lab Lite. They are many, and sound really good. An incredible selection of Vox Connie and other combo organs.

SoundSpot Propane? Maybe if you only need it to fill up your SoundSpot bingo card. It's a mid-side panner like Voxengo's free MSED except it doesn't allow you to individually adjust the levels of mid and side. A mid-side panner is a good tool to have. One that allows you to individually adjust the levels of the mid and side is even better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeGBradford said:

I've got Ozone Elements 8. Is it worth upgrading to 9? I know it's free but just wondering if there are any significant improvements / extra features

There are some UI changes (especially on the EQ section) from what I recall.  I switched to 9 a while ago and haven't looked back, but it isn't an "upgrade" I would have paid for personally.  

• Thanks 1

And that dev (Steve @ synth magic) is one of the best preset creators I've come across - so if you're like me and you prefer to tweak existing presets that already sound great and inspirational rather than program your own sounds from the ground up then the Synth Magic stuff is some of the best there is and that includes his  free stuff.