Cakewalk update available - v2019.03

cclarry

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Thks guyz , it's a cool features for sure ... but i would love enhacement in plugin layout , seeing plugins guys would be great , multi plugin docking , ect ...

Agree. And plugin browser is kind of over-simplistic... It would be nice to be able to perform any possible plugin related action at its level.

No possibility to selectively hide/show/remove plugin to fine tune what is showed. Also some details about location in status bar.  Creating custom assignments to categories stored in user profile on server - to easily import/export between different machines and survive crash. More customization. Etc... Lots still to improve...

Also many plugin providers create kind of mindless install which are trashing space and introduce total mess... Like forcing installing 32-bit plugins, or aax for people who don't have pro tools, or putting at steinberg dirs etc...  Cool and powerful plugin browser could help a lot. 

GAS affected people need browser which is state of art :)  We have hundreds plugins...

8 hours ago, Piotr said:

Agree. And plugin browser is kind of over-simplistic... It would be nice to be able to perform any possible plugin related action at its level.

No possibility to selectively hide/show/remove plugin to fine tune what is showed. Also some details about location in status bar.  Creating custom assignments to categories stored in user profile on server - to easily import/export between different machines and survive crash. More customization. Etc... Lots still to improve...

Also many plugin providers create kind of mindless install which are trashing space and introduce total mess... Like forcing installing 32-bit plugins, or aax for people who don't have pro tools, or putting at steinberg dirs etc...  Cool and powerful plugin browser could help a lot. 

GAS affected people need browser which is state of art :)  We have hundreds plugins...

I m 100 % with you , the number one interaction we have in daw is with plugin , this is simply crucial , studio and waveform have it a little better in certain area , sonar better in other ´ but globaly it really need a whole dev phase on its own ... and the browser in general .... this is solething that sonar really needs , the rest is goodies , extra imho , witch doesn,t mean this isn t worth , but i tend to go pragmatic on stuff and simply consider priorities based on workflow impact .

9 hours ago, Piotr said:

@Noel Borthwick has already indicated that improvements to the browser for plugin management are in the pipeline.

For the meantime however, the Cakewalk Plugin Manager does most of the duties you've mentioned, and of course is much faster to use now.

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

@Noel Borthwick has already indicated that improvements to the browser for plugin management are in the pipeline.

For the meantime however, the Cakewalk Plugin Manager does most of the duties you've mentioned, and of course is much faster to use now.

Thanks for info. Good to know we can expect improvements soon, :)

Unfortunately current browser it is not doing what I mentioned but maybe my broken English said not precisely what I meant. My apologies for that :)

For instance (2019.03 installed of course btw):

- hide VST2 versions of some plugins and VST3 of the others  (but not uninstall because would like to be able switch visibility fast VST2<->VST3 without performing new install in case if any issue).

Do we have Waves plugins?     For instance H-reverb has 17 variations showed in plugin browser.  How cool would be to be able to hide selectively what is not in our interest? I don't use 5.0/5.1 system so gladly I would hide them in browser (in Studio One we can do it).

- be able to store on server my hard work to put plugins in my custom categories and when OS crashed and needed to reinstall or moving to other computer  just to connect to my profile and import it  (in fact it would be nice to have any customization kept on user profile on server to be able fast and smoothly restore them). 

I am using 2 computers in 2 different cities and keeping them in sync is a really pain. To make things even harder I also have 2 different profiles for every of those computers (they are running win10 but have secondary profile with Win7). You could imagine how hard it to keep in sync all 4 profiles (especially win7 are rarely used mostly in case of Win10 unrecoverable crash (what happen few times) or fast testing an issue with program.

- to be able at level of plugin browser see exact path on disk on status bar to be able locate it not search in windows explorer and also directly delete plugin (and also move its location). And of course -  I am GAS infected - so I desperately need to be able perform every operation also on group selected plugins

Generally to be able to perform selectively any plugin management action on group of plugins at browser level.  Including removal from disk (as most installs are just putting .dll or .vst3 into directories).

Of course I appreciate improvements  made in Platinum long time ago about plugs browser but things is when you have really huge amount of plugins (it is not rare after scan have discovered 1000+) every not needed additional operation is multiplied.

Of course we have layer manger and it is very useful in some cases but not really handful if we want to change fast and often (in fact after installing new plugin it could be need to modify a little view).

It would be nice to do it at browser level and for instance after it could internally save as layer to be able do some changer in layer manger if someone prefers or there is a reason.

You can pretty much do ALL of that using the Cakewalk Plugin Manager:

image.png.338067dd1d925c43f54693b0df95ea07.png

cwpluginmanager.gif

[Edit] - The Cakewalk Plugin Manager has it's own offline help file, so clicking the help button will actually give you more info on how to use layouts etc.

Edited by msmcleod

44 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

image.png.338067dd1d925c43f54693b0df95ea07.png

cwpluginmanager.gif

[Edit] - The Cakewalk Plugin Manager has it's own offline help file, so clicking the help button will actually give you more info on how to use layouts etc.

I think you didn t understood our concern , of course a lot can be done via the plugin manager , we re talking withing the browser ....i remember rename dll via registry lol back then ahah ...

The browser itself should be a place of easy interaction. , actually it s just a surface interface display imho .

55 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

[...]

Yep, and I can also do many things in Windows by using regedit ;)  But it is not fast and convenient if you are going to do changes often.

Everything can be done in one way or the other. Things is about workflow and saving time which is most precious asset, just after health.

I am aware of layer manager as I wrote and tried to use it long time ago. Did some layer. But try to update layers with it every time you add new plugs or change mind about something or testing something.  It is slow and not workflow masterpiece . Try to imagine facing challenge I described.

Try to use it to fast switch.

You have f.e. 1000+ plugs, doing lots of changes, trying to keep in sync more than 1 computer.

It is not about something is completely impossible (after all I can also locate .dll in windows explorer using wild cards) but if workflow is poor it is getting unusable if amount of plugins grows.

I stopped to used layer because it is slow, painful and cannot waste time every time I do some (re)installs.

Please try to do some layers using it and install new plugins and modify it, and then change mind about visibility.

It is ok (but still slow and inconvenient) if you are to prepare more or less fixed platform. But for many changes not such useful, after sitting hours you just give up and live with mess.

For instance in Studio One to show/hide plugin just click 'mange plugins' icon and then click at circle close to plugin to show/hide. That's it.

Of course S1 lacks many features of layer manger so it is no match. But we are talking about creating something with optimal (the least possible amount of click and seconds for waiting to reach goal).

Don't take me wrong. I believe it is good for many people. Who has not huge amount of plugins or just need to such management once per - let's say - year.

Let me use king of real life example from house. If you need cut a wooden beam you can use ordinal saw. And in fact you can cut almost everything with your saw.

But if you need to do it very often and also in more tricky cases to save time you could buy electrical saw.

Edited by Piotr