RIP Leslie West

Hidden Symmetry

Bummer for sure as we recognize that all things shall pass eventually.

Leslie broke some rules. Way big towering man playing a single pickup Gibson Melody Maker. Giant cranking out incredible riffs on a toy guitar.

When flash and speed were the virtues of a guitarist of the time, Leslie slowed it down, introduced precision intonation and vibrato to nail a note to your brain.

Bad health in later years. Diabetes, amputation of a leg. Early transition was unfortunately in the stars for this great soul.

RIP Leslie.

John

13 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Mountain Guitarist  (Mississippi Queen being the original 'needs more cowbell' tune.) Dead at 75

A great guitarist, great band back in the day.

I first heard of Mountain, and this song in particular, while reading Moby Dick.  Apparently a Nantucket Sleigh Ride is what harpooners/whalers decided to call the harrowing experience of harpooning a whale and then being towed around the ocean in row boat by a very upset whale.  Apparently the rides could last for hours and hours, and go for miles and miles.  If Leslie had the imagination to post a song like that he is a man the world will sorely miss.

I saw Leslie with Mountain (and talked with him and Felix) outside the backstage door (Santa Monica Auditorium). I was the dude with the camera so I have no pictures of me with them. Felix was a riotous loud mouthed  New Yorker but Leslie was a gentleman.

Then I saw Leslie with West, Bruce and Lange at the Palladium in Hollywood. 

Both great shows. 

• Like 1