Using a Tascam Model 12 as a DAW controller with Cakewalk

Mark Nicholson

Hi Gang,

I'm trying to set up my Model 12 to use as a DAW Controller, in this case with Cakewalk. I followed the advice in the DAW Controller manual, page 11:

rThKxoS.png

and the square (stop) button on the Model 12 is illuminated, which should show that remote control is enabled. Good job! Cakewalk sees it as a MIDI device:

Sso73to.png

But, when I look at Audio devices, cakewalk sees the Model 12, but it is not enabled:

a1R4713.png

and I cannot use any of the inputs as inputs for  a track:

6dT0Kpa.png

If I create a MIDI track, then Cakewalk sees the Model 12:

4CGnRLq.png

But it just won't see it as an audio device. I have the Mode switch for all my channels set to PC. Where am I going wrong?

- Mark

Some manufacturers support multiple devices with the same ASIO driver but I am unaware of any manufacturer that allows multiple devices from different manufacturers.

The one driver at a time limitation is part of the ASIO specification.

Cakewalk supports other driver modes such as WASAPI shared and WDM which do not have this limitation.

Generic "ASIO drivers" (such as ASIO4All) do not have this limitation because they work with WDM drivers and present them to the host as a single ASIO driver.

• Thanks 1

Factory supplied ASIO drivers tend to be the best for performance.

In Win10 WASAPI is usually the best when manufacturers do not make an ASIO driver or the ASIO driver is faulty.

In older OSes WDM  is usually the best when manufacturers do not make an ASIO driver  or the ASIO driver is faulty.

Generic ASIO drivers are never a replacement for real ASIO drivers supplied by the manufacturer unless something is severely wrong. They can be used in place of WASAPI or WDM. 

• Thanks 1