Open mix scene from a different session file?

jono grant

Mix scenes are per project since they contain data which is specific to tracks and buses in the project. 

However if you have a project that contains the SAME tracks from the original project that the scenes were created from, you should be able to import a scene from the old project.

To do that, drag and drop the original mix scene file into the new project. If the tracks match it should import and apply.

As Noel said you can apply a mix scene from an identical project.   This is the case when you have made a template and have used that template to record a band live. You will  end up with multiple projects that are all the same from song to song only the audio is different.  BUT if you add a new effect that will not show in the next song you use the mix scene with. Mix scenes do not add vsts or sub routings etc. 

But if your template was well thought out and you had added all foreseeable effects this can work. If not, make sure to save the pre set for the new effect you add and then it's easy to add it to the other songs.

Thanks. Yes, the tracks etc are identical.

I'm not sure what file to drop where though, sorry, just learning about the mix scenes.

I see there is a folder called "mix scenes" saved with the session file but I don't see the mix scene that I created and named, only mix scene 1 and 2.

If I can find the correct mix scene, how do I drop it onto the file I want to bring it into?

Thanks

Jono

Forget it After I read Steves post below I got it to work ( There was a long thread here explaining how I couldn't get it to work.   

But it certainly doesn't work the way you would expect it. 

What I did was open a project that had no mix recalls and saved a few scenes.I then saved it and closed. I re opened and added BT EQ to a Buss.  I save this as Scene 4. 

I "save as" and re named it.   I closed and opened  the original with no EQ on the buss. 

I changed scenes and back to scene 4 and the EQ did not appear on the buss. ( thuss my original rant) 

But  after reading Steves post below I browsed to the Mix recall folder and dragged and dropped Scene 4 to the original song and bingo, the EQ appeared. I changed to scene 1 and it disappeared.  

I expected a new scene but Scene 4 worked to bring  back the EQ. You can see in the folder below that it created a new mix scene called 5 but that does not show on original list only the "EQ" version. 

One thing is it does not save your re naming of the mixes. You can call them anything you like but they appear in the mix recall folder named with the project title and mix 1 etc. 

So a good practice is to always leave "MIX2 - and then place your name afterwards.  

2019-03-25 (11).png

Edited by Cactus Music

Here is how a just applied a mix scene from one project to another:

• Open the project that needs the mix scene(s)
  • Using the media browser navigate to the MixScenes folder in the project that has the mix scenes stored in it
  • Drag and drop the mix scene file(s) into the project
  • When adding multiple mix scenes use the "Save As A New Scene" between each one to save them in the new project.

The names of mix scenes  and the relationship to the numbered mix scene files are stored in the project. The file names on disk are the project name and a sequential counter. This is done to prevent name collisions between multiple projects stored in the same folder.

If there are a lot of mix scenes to choose from and you only want a particular one, re-save it as a new scene in the donor project and the scene will be the one with the highest number the project's MixScenes folder.

In the video below, on the left is the project that needs the scene. Its media browser is already open to the source project's Mixscenes folder. On the right is the source project. The video shows creating a new mix scene "Mix4" in the source project  and dragging the mix scene file "Empty-Mix(4).cwm" from the browser into the other project.

fXxM34v.gif

Note: While all the mix scene data was transferred, the order of the automation lanes may not be preserved.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

It was timely for me as I had not used mix recall in the past because I didn't think it would add the plug ins. I'm now just starting to depend on it as I get to the mixdown stage involving 64 projects. Who would of ever guessed at what Cook showed us.  Steve is that in the instructions somewhere??  Add this to the 100's of tips I've gleaned from that guy.  

Anyhow this was on my wish list  for a long time ago as I come from using my Yamaha 01v for mixing. You simply save a mix and name it. That same mix could be applied to all the songs on a album. Minor tweeks easily saved and re named but the bones of a mix were always there with all effects and levels pre set. Midi automation took care of the rest. 

So I was disappointed when I started using Cakewalk that it's mixer ( console)  could not be saved. Now it can.  

1 hour ago, Cactus Music said:

is that in the instructions somewhere??

Don't think so. There were quite a few threads when the feature came out and like this one, Noel posted the solution

On 3/19/2019 at 12:59 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

if you have a project that contains the SAME tracks from the original project that the scenes were created from, you should be able to import a scene from the old project.

To do that, drag and drop the original mix scene file into the new project. If the tracks match it should import and apply.

All, I did was reword his instructions and add a screen capture.

Ahh! You see I misread his post thinking what he said was to drag and drop the mix scene into the mix recall folder,, I missed that part about dragging to the the actual project,  Copying from mix recall folder to mix recall folder would have be logical so what I would have tried first. Anyhow, I still thank you once again because I "got it" via your post. Your a good teacher Steve and you just won't admit it.