MOHO ( 2D animation/Audio ) new ownership .. back under LOST MARBLE .. 05/21 - New ver out, offer for upgrades

aidan o driscoll

Posted this here at CW .. i reckon as well as being muso's some of you guys, like me might be into 2D and 3D animation / Graphics

https://www.mohoanimation.com/

http://www.lostmarble.com/

We are very excited to announce that the Moho 2D animation software has been acquired by Lost Marble LLC, the company founded by Mike Clifton, the original creator of Moho, and Victor Paredes, Supervisor of Moho animation at Cartoon Saloon and former Moho Product Manager.

Great news this, it has been withering on the vine at Smith Micro. I think we here as CW users can empatise with this :D

The CARTOON SALOON is a fantastic animation company based in Kilkenny, Ireland

https://www.cartoonsaloon.ie/

I am a user of this since the Lost Marble days, great to see its back to Lost Marble again

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Back in the hands of the people who care most is never a bad thing... This is all new to me, so I have no knowledge of history but been having a lot of fun with things.

Odd turn of events for me... are you familiar with Reallusion? Corel (of all people) had "Crazy Talk" (LEGACY product - you do NOT want this, since Cartoon Animator 4 has everything it does) in their store, but that made me go take a look at Reallusion. The 3D stuff (iClone and Character Creator) piqued my interest, but found out quick that I needed to learn Blender to make props. Not necessarily terrible, but certainly not a quick path to anything. After a couple weeks of this I went back to look at their 2D Cartoon Animator 4 in more detail, and looks like they stole the bones (literally, they added the same bone layouts) from MOHO for their last upgrade. I did not get the LEAP (hand control) package (yet, but their 50% off sale goes through 4 JAN), but did get the bundle with the Face3D tracker, and that little gem is awesome (tracks your face on a webcam to record animations). They are constantly making it easier and easier to just create on a computer... just made me respect the Disney animators of old manually flipping through frames, when today you can do what took them months in "real time" and lip sync audio to boot. Unreal what you can do these days...

@mettelus Yes I also have all the Reallusion stuff inc Iclone and Cartoon Animator 4. Only issue with reallusion stuff is alot of its functionality is geared toward there own content .. trying to get you to buy.

MOHO s a truer 2D animation application and is around alot longer than Reallusion stuff. And does not depend on trying to flog you content.

yes i use Blender, have done so for years .. along with Lightwave, Realsoft 3D, MODO, Truespace back in the day and ZBrush and VUE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

The brand new version of MOHO is out now after the original developers- Lost Marble  ( and also irish company Cartoon Saloon, who are big users of Moho going way back ) took back the software from Smith Micro:

https://moho.lostmarble.com

For those with previous v13 and 12 there is an upgrade offer of $99 until end of May ( up to $199 then )

For anyone here going MOHO, What is it? Its a 2D animation program INCLUDING AUDIO thats been around for ages but unfortunately was not loved for a long time by Smith Micro, the previous owners. 

Interestingly to release a stable v13.5 they apparently had to strip out a load of "new Features" added by Smith Micro because these new features were making Moho UNSTABLE / not coded right in effect. 

Its good to see it back now and with constant development going forward .. in this situation a sort of kindred spirit with Cakewalk

Just upgraded from my v12. I will admit I have not used MOHO in a good while after Smith Micro took it over. Time to get back into it now though, at minimum I am happy to contribute toward its new and further development and tbh me being in Ireland, and love Kilkenny where Cartoon Saloon are .. its a no brainer, support your own :D

I referenced working with AUDIO in MOHO:

• Like 1

I had 13 from Smith Micro and the 13.5 upgrade was free but made me enter my authorization again. I didn't get too deep into it first pass, so feel like I am back at ground zero, but the new features are rather interesting. I need to start with simpler things this go round. Definitely one of the RTFM apps; it is easy for me to get lost in the UI.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Would Moho Debut be good enough for simple lyrics videos for Youtube?

I would also be looking to make explainer videos using vector art assets, with bits of animation here and there. 

Edited by boxed

7 hours ago, boxed said:

Would Moho Debut be good enough for simple lyrics videos for Youtube?

I would also be looking to make explainer videos using vector art assets, with bits of animation here and there. 

I would think so .. I have Moho 13 Pro, great piece of software for 2D

But if money is an issue - BLENDER 3D ( open source free ) also has 2D built in now .. its called Grease Pencil:

https://www.blender.org/features/grease-pencil/ 

• 1 month later...

Promo email came in with an interesting 2D model that looks 3D

Not sure if that link embed anything, but worth a try.

I guess the promo is for email subscribers. I was going to post that link but is to me, if you subscribe to their newsletter it should show up for you (is Moho Debut 13.5 + 100 Brushes Content Pack + Characters Content Pack for $79 (versus $119)).

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1