Presonus Fadeout 2020 Sale

cclarry

1 minute ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

So many choices, I'll likely choose one that takes up too much space and is overkill if the price and feature set are right, I know myself too well...

So, not to digress and go off-topic, but I will...   If an when I'm ready to upgrade  to a "control surface", while I like the tactile feeling of knobs and faders, I've been leaning towards a touch screen monitor lately.  No mapping of controls, etc.   Just curious if you or anyone who has been down this road has input?

Just now, mibby said:

So, not to digress and go off-topic, but I will...   If an when I'm ready to upgrade  to a "control surface", while I like the tactile feeling of knobs and faders, I've been leaning towards a touch screen monitor lately.  No mapping of controls, etc.   Just curious if you or anyone who has been down this road has input?

I like the idea, but to be useful for my big hands, a touch screen display would need to be huge! And that would probably require too much space for me ... 🙁

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mibby said:

I'm open to it but really lean toward the tactile feel.  I do use an iPad app to control Cubase (the Steinberg official app) from time to time but it isn't my preferred method for anything more complex than recording myself from another room/area of the studio.

20 minutes ago, abacab said:

No motorized faders, but this looks interesting!

https://nektartech.com/panorama-p1/

Nektar_p1.png

Interesting.  I put motorized faders near the top of the list of requirements but I've heard good things about that unit so I'll keep an open mind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Interesting.  I put motorized faders near the top of the list of requirements but I've heard good things about that unit so I'll keep an open mind.

Plus, the color scheme looks rather IKM friendly! 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mibby said:

By all means go with the touch monitor (if you don't mind fingerprints on your screen), but I would highly recommend a physical device as well. When working on something, I often keep one hand on the mouse, one hand on the Faderport to control transport. Being able to rest my hand on the controls, feel around for them (my eyes are on the screen), and press them only when I want to is a boost for my workflow. Another thing to consider (with motorised faders) is that they will move with the automation: if you need to re-record part of your fader control, you know exactly what level it's at and have less chance of having a 'jump' in your automation. Also, a typical onscreen fader isn't that high (to allow for sends, panning, etc. to be displayed); a control surface might have around 10cm give or take, meaning that you'll have finer control. Of course, YMMV, etc...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I don't get what you mean? Yes, MIDI 2.0 devices would be backwards compatible, but I'm saying MIDI 1.0 devices won't likely be forwards compatible.

Yes, that's what I mean. Like would you put off buying a new car now (if you needed one) because a better model is coming out next year?

MIDI 2.0 devices won't replace MIDI 1.0, it just adds the capability for new features. It may be some time before there is anything useful on the market, so it could be a long wait. And MIDI 1.0 has a proven track record of several decades of use.

Is there something particular in the 2.0 spec that you would rather wait for?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/what-is-midi-20-and-what-does-it-mean-for-musicians-and-producers

Edited by abacab

43 minutes ago, abacab said:

Yes, that's what I mean. Like would you put off buying a new car now (if you needed one) because a better model is coming out next year?

MIDI 2.0 devices won't replace MIDI 1.0, it just adds the capability for new features. It may be some time before there is anything useful on the market, so it could be a long wait. And MIDI 1.0 has a proven track record of several decades of use.

Is there something particular in the 2.0 spec that you would rather wait for?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/what-is-midi-20-and-what-does-it-mean-for-musicians-and-producers

My understanding is there is something like 10000 levels of granularity in MIDI 2.0 compared to +/-127 in MIDI 1.0

This could be significant for a fader or controlling eq.

2 minutes ago, RSMcGuitar said:

My understanding is there is something like 10000 levels of granularity in MIDI 2.0 compared to +/-127 in MIDI 1.0

This could be significant for a fader or controlling eq.

Maybe, but it will likely take years to design and manufacture bug-free hardware based on the new spec. MMA just finalized and adopted the 2.0 standard this year. Most of the gear is just prototype at this stage, like proof-of-concept that MIDI 2.0 messages can be sent and received.

With the exception of: https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2020-rolands-a-88mkii-midi-keyboard-is-its-first-midi-20-ready-product

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/7/21028136/roland-a-88mkii-keyboard-support-midi-2-0-ces-namm-2020

Recently, C++ framework company JUCE spoke with several members of the MIDI Manufacturers Association who said it will likely take “several years for a wider range of MIDI 2.0 products to start coming to market.” The challenge with every MIDI update has been getting companies to support it. The association officially adopted MPE last year, but so far, only a few companies — like Roli, Sensel, and Roger Linn Design — have created products to utilize it.

Well the 88mkii appears to be ready!

• Like 1