Can't pan?

sven450

All of a sudden, my pan doesn't really pan.  I changed nothing in settings or preferences, but now it just sort of barely dims one channel even when fully panned one way or another.  This is tested with multiple tracks and projects  Ever heard of this? I just tried messing with my cables, my interface.  Nothing.  I checked pan laws, they are unchanged from the default.   I am officially stumped.

Man am I an idiot.  I just tore my studio apart trying to find the culprit.  What was it you ask?  My new-ish Presonus headphone amp has a tiny little MONO button on the bottom corner.  It is partially hidden by my monitor.  AHHHHHGGGG!!

• Haha 2

No more an idiot than I am. My Steinberg UR-22 interface has some dials on the front. Couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any sound. One of them was turned all the way down.  This stuff may not be rocket science, but it's close.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

So glad I found this thread! Allow me to join the ranks of "idiots," LOL! I was unable to pan any of my tracks and I was convinced the culprit was the latest update by Bandlab. Spent two days pulling my hair out until I found you guys, pointing out that it might be a hardware, not software issue. Turns out it was the 3.5mm to 1/4" replacement adapter I had just bought for my headphones. I bought the wrong type! It's not stereo compatible. It was the cheapest one in the store and I didn't read the label....AHHHHRGGHH! 

• Haha 1

Well, on the ONE hand, we have ALL had epic DOH moments, but on the OTHER hand, look at how WELL we have all learned from those moments.  I will NEVER again stop at an auto-parts store next door to where my gig was, and pick up a can of brake cleaner spray to get my keyboard's keys cleaned right before we started the gig.  Sprayed the keys - and starting about 2 seconds later, in the order corresponding to which end of the keyboard I started spraying, each key's plastic internals melted, causing each key to simply drop down - as the springs for each key were no longer connected to the now-melted little plastic pieces meant to never have brake cleaner sprayed on them.... (the guitar player watched in horror, as each key became instantly unusable, 15 minutes prior to a high-dollar wedding gig.  (please forgive me - this was 40 years ago)

(I raced down the street to a music store that was just about to close, and essentially gave them all the money I would have been paid for the gig, to rent the exact same keyboard as the one I had decapitated, and miraculously the gig was saved, though I played for free - AND had to pay a couple hundred bucks the following week to have the entire set of keys replaced).

I bet NONE of us will repeat these particular DOH moments we have shared... (I have lots of others, but I don't want to make myself cry thinking about them)...

Bob Bone :)