Resizing Widgets?

noexit

Question

First post... I'm revisiting Cakewalk after a VERY long hiatus from making music.  I last seriously used a DAW in the Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 days.  I did purchase Platinum right before Gibson went nighty-night... but never really got the time to use it.
I'm sort of starting from scratch making a sort of default template to begin with each time.  I have lots of outboard midi hardware I have hooked up across 5 different midi ports.  Organization is key.  What I'd like to do is make the most out of the "Screen Real Estate" as I can showing the most of what I want to see and the least of what I'm not using at the time.   For example, in the Track View I'd like to show the MIDI Input Port, Output Port, Channel Number, Bank and Patch Names.  I seem to remember from the "Old Cakewalk" days that I could resize columns to show, for example, just the Port Number, Just the MIDI Channel Number, just the Bank Number, but really stretch wide the Patch Names so I could fully see the name of the patch I was pulling up without having to walk across the studio to the synth mounted on the wall to verify which patch I was pulling up.

Is there a way to resize these items in each track strip?   Also, I notice there's a lot of what I would call unused or wasted space around the various items in the track strip.  Is there a way to "tighten" these up so that there's very little unused space?  Attached is an image of what I'm trying to correct... the space between the drawn-in red brackets.  I'd like to be able to stretch the MIDI Port, Channel, Bank and Patch info into this area.  With so many ports and channels, I want to keep the screen as efficient as possible.

Thanks for your guidance as I'm excited to dig into this old but new experience!

Cakewalk.png

3 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, scook said:

Most of the space in the red brackets is reserved for track icons which are turned off in the image posted.

Do you mean like this?  I wondered if that part of the screen was "reserved".  I felt the Icons were a bit redundant as they are already present just to the right of the track number.

Am I correct in calling the part that I want to resize (Midi Port, Channel, Patch, etc) Widgets?

Cakewalk2.png

6 minutes ago, noexit said:

Do you mean like this?  I wondered if that part of the screen was "reserved".  I felt the Icons were a bit redundant as they are already present just to the right of the track number.

The large icons may be easily modified to something more meaning.

By default, they are a larger version of the image to the left of the track name.

The small images to the left of track names for instrument, MIDI tracks and their associated audio double as buttons to open the soft-synth UI.

Packing all the controls, buttons and dropdowns (all could be called widgets if you prefer) in the minimum amount of space possible makes it difficult to create and find hotspots for menus.