What Settings am I Missing?

Bobby Thistle

Greetings all…

I have decided that I want to clear up a lot of desk space and get rid of my cheap Mackie ProFX8.  Not only does it take up a lot of room, it also “hisses” a lot when you give it any real volume, even though the phones.  I want to use my new FocusRite Scarlett 6i6 in its place, but there’s a bit of a problem with MIDI.

I can’t hear any MIDI sounds going in or coming out.  I’ve searched all over looking for the cause but have yet to find any solutions.

My wiring setup is:

MIDI keyboard out to MIDI in on the 6i6

MIDI out on the 6i6 to MIDI in on the Ketron SD-2 MIDI module

MIDI Thru from the SD-2 to MIDI in on the Roland JV-1010

All MIDI sounds that were already recorded into Cakewalk (by BandLab) are showing that they’re playing as they should, judging by the level meters on their assigned tracks.  Both MIDI sound modules are flashing, indicating that they’re playing their parts as the song plays.  The MIDI indicator light on the 6i6 is a steady on/off flash.  I just can’t hear any MIDI sounds – or anything else through the phones on the FocusRite.  I also can’t record any new MIDI sounds.

In Cakewalk’s Preferences setup, MIDI device, input and output have the 6i6 checked.

MIDI Record/Playback seems to be as it should with the exception of “Driver Mode” which is showing “MME”.  This is greyed out.  When I close the project and check the “Driver Mode”, it gives me the choice of MME or UWP.  I get the same results with either or the other.

MIDI Playback has “Always echo current MIDI track” checked.

MIDI Files has “Always use Syx Banks for MIDI files (instead of Syx Data) checked.

My "Instruments" are entered and show up as they should.

I know I must be missing a setting somewhere.  The problem is, I’ve checked and unchecked so many settings now, I don’t know which ones are the right ones.

BTW... Audio works like a charm… and sounds a LOT better than when I was using the Mackie as the audio interface.

Perhaps someone can guide me to the settings that I need to get MIDI sounds up and running?  It would be so much appreciated.!!!

So where is the audio from the midi sound modules going? Remember in the other thread I described why you either need an interface with enough inputs for that audio or to use the Mackie for a sub mixer. Midi cables only carry data, not sound.

• Like 1

Well you were right about the controlled surface not being there, Mark.  Unfortunately it hasn't fixed my problem.

With everything showing that its working aside from not hearing anything through the phones I can't think "so close and yet so far."

We'll get it going somehow tomorrow.

But I repeat as you seem to have missed my post. How is your Midi playback from the sound modules patched in to your system so that you can hear the output? This has not been made clear. You will not hear them if only the midi cable is connected to the 6i6. Below is what you said is your wiring. I don't see any audio cables. 

My wiring setup is:

Edited by Cactus Music
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

But I repeat as you seem to have missed my post. How is your Midi playback from the sound modules patched in to your system so that you can hear the output? This has not been made clear. You will not hear them if only the midi cable is connected to the 6i6. Below is what you said is your wiring. I don't see any audio cables. 

My wiring setup is:

Exactly what I was thinking. OP lists the MIDI signal path, but there isn't anything about the audio output path.

Hi guys...

Well, it took me a while to figure out what you were saying all along.  My Ketron SD2 has to go into the audio interface (6i6)  Do keep in mind that I'm a total newb at setting this stuff up - so many cables to figure out when I don't know what I'm doing - and it takes me a while to understand what you're telling me to do.

And finally, it is working.  The way I now have it set up is like this: I'm back to using my M-Audio midi interface.  My midi controller keyboard goes in the M-Audio and then comes out and goes into the midi module.  The outs from the midi module go into the 6i6 front  audio in plugs.  And voila... I have sound coming out of the 6i6.

Although this has cleared up my problem ( caused by my lack of understanding)  I'm wondering about something.  What do the two "line in" inputs on the back of the 6i6 do?  Shouldn't I be able to plug the module into them and get the same results as when it's plugged into the front inputs?  When I've tried like this it doesn't work.  This isn't a biggie... I am just wondering why.  Using a front input isn't really a problem because I'm only using the other front input with one mic or one guitar at a time.  Never both at the same time.  And so, it works for me.

Thanks so much everyone for all your help.  I'm sorry it took so long for my brain to figure out what you all were telling me. 😬

Edited by Oscar Myer

No "stupid" questions, and no need to apologize.

The rear inputs on the 6i6 are line level, so chances are you'll be plugging something into them that has a volume control. I don't think the 6i6 gives you any other way to control levels. Sorry, I never use them and I don't want to steer you wrong. The Focusrite documentation is here (PDF), and you might benefit from reading this conversation on the old SONAR forum between a couple of SONAR users who both have the 6i6. The Focusrite Mix Control that came with the 1st generation 6i6 is confusing, but it's in there that you will be routing the signal from the back inputs (#3 &4). Good luck!

ETA: Might be a good idea to open a new thread with your 6i6 question, since this one is a somewhat different topic.

Edited by Larry Jones