Komplete Kontrol Automation

Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

Question

Can anyone tell me how to record automation for the knobs in the Komplete Kontrol host VST?

I mean (in this example) these three gray knobs at the top:

image.png.3c578a7e3731d39a371eb96f2a12d61c.png

I've tried everything I can think of, and done a lot of googling, but can't find anything relevant. I just want these controls to appear as automation lanes for the track this is on.

Thanks in advance,

J.

3 answers to this question

OK - I think I've solved this myself - it appears that you cannot automate effects plugins within Komplete Kontrol, only the VST instrument. It's not the end of the world - obviously the same effects can be added in the Cakewalk channel's effect rack instead, and automated from there.

The issue is the same within Ableton Live (11). It's because effect parameters (unlike instrument parameters) are not in the list of parameters which Komplete Kontrol exposes to the host.

Actually, the Instrument parameters aren't exactly easy to find either! 🙂

image.thumb.png.c288914c45d110b587041378e92c5ba8.png

• Great Idea 1

7 hours ago, Jeremy Murray-Wakefield said:

Can anyone tell me how to record automation for the knobs in the Komplete Kontrol host VST?

I mean (in this example) these three gray knobs at the top:

I've tried everything I can think of, and done a lot of googling, but can't find anything relevant. I just want these controls to appear as automation lanes for the track this is on.

Thanks in advance,

J.

I found this to be tricky as well in many DAW's. Kontakt/Komplete Kontrol NKS mapped controls can be either recorded/edited in the instrument track of the VSTi itself OR by changing the KK keyboard/Maschine to MIDI mode, assign the desired knob to a CC# and then record it on the driving MIDI track.
Not exactly intuitive, but it works without fault once you grasp the concept. I use a mixture of either method depending on what I'm trying to manipulate.