Dropouts when opening plug-in windows

Skelm

Hi,

I recently moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10, as I appeared to be getting left behind in terms of security updates etc. I am using the same hardware (Core i7, 24GB RAM, Yamaha 01v96i mixer as an interface). When a track is playing, opening any plug-in's interface causes a short dropout in playback, which never used to happen before - I could open any and all plug-in windows and Cakewalk would continue to play back without problems. I have tried earlier drivers for the Yamaha, but the problem remains. Booting back into Windows 7 and it is as solid as ever at the same latency settings. I am not sure what is causing this, and would much rather not move back to Windows 7 to get rid of this. Anyone have any idea why this would happen? Thanks.

when a track is playing, opening any plug-in's interface causes a short dropout in playback, which never used to happen before -

Whenever you upgrade to a new windows architecture, you need to make 10000% sure everything in your pc and connected to your pc had drivers and/or firmware that is made for Windows 10. 

Did you check to make sure everything can work in Win10 and has drivers and/or firmware for win10? If yes, did you install them in your PC? Thi sincludes even your PC's MOBO.

Booting back into Windows 7 and it is as solid as ever at the same latency settings.

When you upgrade, the same audio interface drivers need to be re-adjusted. Even if you didn't upgrade, the same drivers settings may not work for everything. The bigger the project, the more resources it needs and the more ASIO buffers you may need to compensate for it.  I always adjust my latency. When I record, its as low as 32 or 64 and when mixing, i raise it to 128 or 256 or even 512. Its normal.

Thanks for the response - this was a fresh Windows 10 installation, with Windows 10 drivers for everything including motherboard & components, MIDI interface, and audio interface. It doesn't matter what size the project is, opening a plug-in interface from anywhere (mixer, track, synth view) causes a dropout.  It's more annoying than anything else, but I would like to resolve it as Ableton Live doesn't do this at all on the same Windows 10 installation, at the same latency.

What video card do you have? I ask this because I had an NVidia card that would cause crackles and drop outs when I showed plugin, especially, VI, GUIs. I used latencyMon to track it down to the NVidia driver.  I could never resolve it and switched video cards and the dropouts/crackles went away.

Check with https://resplendence.com/latencymon to see what could be causing your issues.

I used to have this problem with my apollo interface, but only happens with a select few plugins. Never figured why, but I changed interface and the problem went away.

Anyway which dropout code are you getting?

Edited by JL

11 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

What video card do you have? I ask this because I had an NVidia card that would cause crackles and drop outs when I showed plugin, especially, VI, GUIs. I used latencyMon to track it down to the NVidia driver.  I could never resolve it and switched video cards and the dropouts/crackles went away.

Check with https://resplendence.com/latencymon to see what could be causing your issues.

Hi, No video card, I am using the internal graphics of the CPU. Could this be the issue?

7 hours ago, JL said:

I used to have this problem with my apollo interface, but only happens with a select few plugins. Never figured why, but I changed interface and the problem went away.

Anyway which dropout code are you getting?

Hi, changing the interface isn't really an option - it is also my mixing desk. Where do I check the dropout code?

6 hours ago, Skelm said:

Thanks for this - I am not seeing a code, as the audio engine does not stop, there is just a short interruption in playback. Not sure why it isn't stopping playback as that article implies should be happening.

Cakewalk attempts to recover from dropouts during playback, depending on the DropoutMSec setting in your configuration file.  This isn't the case for recording where dropouts aren't tolerated because you don't want glitches in your recording.

Plugin UI's should really be designed to be as lightweight as possible (CPU wise) rather than be focused on maximum eye-candy.

13 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

It could be but you won't really know until you run LatencyMon on your machine to see what process or driver might be causing it.

This is the odd thing, LatencyMon comes back with the "Your system appears to be suitable for realtime processing" (or something similar) message. Although I did not run Cakewalk in the background, only the LatencyMon app as per their website.