ASIO driver to fix Cakewalk Error

Raja Bhat

I was pretty frustrated that I could not connect my M-Audio Keystation 61 Mk3 to Cakewalk on  new Surface Pro 7. I got an error message saying that I don't have enough memory. Extensive searching on Google gave me no solution, and support at Cakewalk had no ideas either. 

So: I spent 3 hours exploring trial versions of other DAWs. Somewhere along that process, a couple of ASIO driver programs got installed on my Surface Pro. Asio4all and FL Studio Asio. I don't know which of these two fixed the problem, but I'm going to leave them in. With them in, my keyboard connects perfectly to Cakewalk and I even tried out the Strings VST, which is very nice! Wow, what a relief. 

Hopefully the folk at Cakewalk will make note of this and help others who had a similar predicament as me. I also plan to explore under preferences, the choice of ASIO or one of the other choices, whether that influences MIDI connections. 

Addendum/Correction. Turns out when I uninstalled these programs, I wound up deleting whatever helped my Cakewalk issue. I installed Asio4all but that did not solve the problem, and in fact added listings when I chose ASIO in preferences. So I uninstalled it. I give up; 3 hours wasted! 

Edited by Raja Bhat

Well I hate to tell you this , but ASIO is an audio driver and doesn't really have anything much to do with a midi device other than playing back the sounds generated by the VST instruments.  If your using your on board sound card then you could have used WASPI shared or exclusive driver mode. All you have done now is installed two generic ( which are not real ASIO ) drivers that you actually didn't need. But no harm done. As far as Cakewalk goes it is highly recommended that you use a proper ASIO audio interface for recording audio. Midi is not as critical but you might get better performance. 

Edited by John Vere
Update links

14 hours ago, Raja Bhat said:

I installed Asio4all but that did not solve the problem, and in fact added listings when I chose ASIO in preferences. So I uninstalled it. I give up; 3 hours wasted! 

ASIO4all is a WDM wrapper. Its not a proper driver when using an audio interface. Use the M-audio drivers and get them from the M-audio's website. Install the latest drivers for your PC's architecture.

Just as the others said. Drivers like ASIO are for audio and PC performance and its not a CAEKEWALK Issue. 

The M audio is a midi keyboard, So there's no ASIO driver for it. They don't even supply a proper MIDI driver.   I only recommend buying midi devices that come with a proper midi driver. I have a Roland keyboard and a Yamaha drum kit that came with drivers. I can connect and reconnect with Cakewalk running no problem. I also have an Akai keyboard that uses "class compliant midi drivers" and it is alway cutting out and I have to re start Cakewalk. These companies that use "class compliant drivers" are lazy and assume your using a Mac. 

18 hours ago, Raja Bhat said:

I was pretty frustrated that I could not connect my M-Audio Keystation 61 Mk3 to Cakewalk on  new Surface Pro 7.

Generally a midi keyboard must have a connection with  an audio interface's midi in and the interface midi out is connected to a computer. Asio driver has nothing to do with the previous connection.

Drivers use is for the functionality of hardware, software, plug ins and things like that.