Nectar does not like being a track plug-in

Scott C. Stahl

Inserting Nectar as a track effect does not work well. Effects stutter, and sometimes simply won't work. I've had to use it as a Bus effect only. It happily lives there.

I am win 7 with an i7 and 16 gig of ram. Not even close to pushing either the ram or the chip, so that's not the problem.

I also tried to insert neutron as a clip effect. That crashed CW as it loaded an endless loop of Neutron iterations. Fortunately I was just experimenting and didn't blow up anything critical 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:20 PM, shaun watson said:

I just checked both scenarios and they work flawlessly Win 10 , I5, 8 Gig.  There really isn't any reason not to upgrade to Win 10 other than ten minutes of your time. 

I figured I would have to do a whole new build and slowly port over my stuff. You're saying an upgrade would be that simple? Truth be told I never look at upgrade techniques except every 5 years or so. It's been 8 with this system

I run both those plugins on a Win7 machine with no problems, albeit with 32 GB of RAM.

Don't think the OS is your problem.

They do seem to be greedy, so maybe more RAM is worth trying?

But a single instance on a track vs. a single instance on a bus wouldn't make any difference to the resources needed, would it? Multiple track instances, yes.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:14 AM, Scott C. Stahl said:

Inserting Nectar as a track effect does not work well. Effects stutter, and sometimes simply won't work. I've had to use it as a Bus effect only. It happily lives there.

Effect must work both in a track and in a bus. The issue stays in a different part of your audio system.

The inplace  upgrade doesn't touch any of your files or documents. Unless you do the best move and start fresh with a new OS SSD drive. But all your contacts and stuff like that ar stored in Google if that's what you use. And these days all our documents are on something like one drive. 

When I built a fresh machine about a year ago this was the case. First thing I did was install Chrome and sign in. Most of my log ins are stored there including Bandlab.

Then I had a back up drive from which I transferred all the stuff like the Command Center Download folder. ALl my other music apps are stored here but this is a good time to cruise for any updates. But generally I can install all my software using the external drive. 

Run Command Center and install everything I need. 

Then download and install Bandlab / Cakewalk. Install 

Now activations via  XLN , Ilok and e licence.   

All took a few hours and not really a hassle if you remember how stuff works. 

Bandlab is optimized for W10, end of story. It will run on W7 but might not be stable and any issue like yours are not supported. 

I just tried Nectar which I just got free from Plugin Boutique a few weeks ago on some vocal tracks. It didn't seem to do anything worth bothering about. It seems like it's for people who might not know how to use the effects they already have. One most tracks the automatic thing made them sound worse. 

Edited by John Vere

Just adding my testimony here:  

I have/use Nectar 2 Suite; always as an insert.  It's super handy to have around because it's a very convenient way to keep a profile of a "plug-in chain" for individuals that send me vocal tracks.  The EQ, compression, de-essing, saturation, etc. all in a single preset saved me a bunch of time yesterday when a church called me for an emergency edit/mix for some Christmas presentation content they needed.

I find the manual pitch correction function to be clumsy, but the De-Breath works well. I only have used the Harmony Generator function twice in the past 6 years (also have Nectar 1) so I can't say much about those functions. 

• 1 month later...

Quick related yet unrelated Nectar question...  I'm using nectar for a bunch of vocal trax (about 8 trax), do you prefer, or is it better, to apply Nectar to each track or to rout groups of tracks to a bus and apply Nectar to the bus?  I'd prefer to apply it on individual trax as the vocal tones of each track are a bit different.  Appreciate your thoughts friends. 

12 hours ago, bdickens said:

Time to join the 21st Century and use a password manager.

Yep, I guess I'm just 20th century as I keep all my passwords in a spreadsheet (which is encrypted and regularly backed up).

Even writing down your login info in a small paper notebook is preferable to relying on your system to remember passwords.  The latter is just waiting for disaster to happen and holds the user hostage  to that system. 

If it were me, I'd spend a few hours recording all my passwords to a document or PW manager -- the sooner the better.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

You obviously don't understand how password managers work.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_manager

WAY more secure, WAY easier and you can never be as good at generating truly random passwords as a mathematical algorithm.

Huh?  I've worked in corporate IT for almost 30 years; I know exactly how password managers work.

Nowhere in my post did I say my method was BETTER than a PW manager.  I started with a spreadsheet and just never got around to switching to a PW manager.  Call it laziness or I just didn't see the point.  I did suggest using a PW manager to OP...

Why in the world did you take offense?  Did you think I was maligning your post?  The 20th century bit was a joke (off your 21st century comment).

Just tell me what I said wrong, and I'll apologize... 😕