Raise/Lower Selected Automation Nodes [Solved]

Bill Phillips

Question

When selecting multiple nodes or all nodes on an envelope, Ctrl + Click-Dragging with the Smart Tool seems to move all selected nodes reliably, but, I didn't find that option in the documentation. Did I miss it? Is that expected behavior or a bug? Should it be documented?

OTOH, the documented method (as described by text in the red box in screenshot below), Click-Dragging Up/Dn in the top center, does not always move all selected nodes Up/Dn. Sometimes it will create a node below the mouse pointer or highlight the envelope segment between the nodes on either side of the mouse pointer.

NmgxwSZ.png

Edited by Bill Phillips

2 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

When selecting multiple nodes or all nodes on an envelope, Ctrl + Click-Dragging with the Smart Tool seems to move all selected nodes reliably, but, I didn't find that option in the documentation. Did I miss it? Is that expected behavior or a bug? Should it be documented?

When you press Ctrl and hover the pointer anywhere over the envelope it changes to the move tool, it's a shortcut rather than actually switching to the move tool. With the move tool you can click anywhere on a selected envelope to move it.  It may be in the documentation under 'Move Tool' I don't know.  Another way is after selecting the nodes simply hover over any node and the move icon will appear, then click and drag, no need to press Ctrl.

7 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

OTOH, the documented method (as described by text in the red box in screenshot below), Click-Dragging Up/Dn in the top center, does not always move all selected nodes Up/Dn. Sometimes it will create a node below the mouse pointer or highlight the envelope segment between the nodes on either side of the mouse pointer.

Lets say you have a track with multiple clips and a volume envelope with many nodes.  None of the nodes are selected.  You want to move the whole envelope.   Hover the pointer near the top of the track where there are no clips,  the 'move envelope icon' (a line with an up/down arrow) will appear, click and drag.  Lets say you want to move all nodes in only one particular clip, first make sure the clip is not selected, hover the pointer near the top for the 'move envelope icon', click and hold (this adds nodes at the beginning and end of the clip) while holding drag.  Basically this method of moving the pointer to the top of the clip/track to see the 'move envelope icon' is a shortcut for the older way of, after selecting a region, right clicking the envelope and selecting 'Add Nodes at Selection'.   If you hover the pointer between two nodes at the top of the clip and click and release, it will highlight the region between the nodes.  If you then click and drag it will add nodes at selection and move.  HTH

• Thanks 1