Midi observations

kzmaier

Over the weekend I saw a couple of things.

I have several midi interfaces connected to my Daw.  I turn then on when needed.  I noticed that the Cakewalk control surface will auto select a midi interface when the actual control surface interface midi device is missing.  This makes the selected interface unusable on a midi track input even though it's in the track options list.  Just a FYI I thought I would share, as well as something I need to remember.  It took me a while to figure this out.  If I change the midi interface in the Control surface to something else all is well.

The second observation was when recording midi on a track with the Arpeggiator turned on in the Cakewalk midi track as well as the vsti I ended up with overlapping redundant midi notes.  Is there a recommended work-flow when recording arpeggated parts?  I just practiced the parts with the Arpeggiator on and then recorded with it off.  Unfortunately sometimes I forgot this step.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kzmaier said:

Over the weekend I saw a couple of things.

I have several midi interfaces connected to my Daw.  I turn then on when needed.  I noticed that the Cakewalk control surface will auto select a midi interface when the actual control surface interface midi device is missing.  This makes the selected interface unusable on a midi track input even though it's in the track options list.  Just a FYI I thought I would share, as well as something I need to remember.  It took me a while to figure this out.  If I change the midi interface in the Control surface to something else all is well.

This has caught me out many a time.

Now it's the first thing I look at when I'm getting no sound from my keyboard.