On which Windows 10 do you work in Cakewalk? Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro?

Konskoo

5 minutes ago, razor7music said:

Does it matter?

As far as the DAW is concerned...no.

Some prefer the extra control Pro offers over Win10 features and policies.

I have used Win10 Home since 2014 without any problems.

My new machine has Win10 Pro. I expect it will be equally drama free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scook said:

As far as the DAW is concerned...no.

Some prefer the extra control Pro offers over Win10 features and policies.

I have used Win10 Home since 2014 without any problems.

My new machine has Win10 Pro. I expect it will be equally drama free.

Same here - I notice no difference at all between Pro & Home in CbB, performance or otherwise.

• Thanks 1

Being  cheap, I have the free upgraded versions on 3 of my machines which of course is the basic version. I still can't see anything about pro that matters to music.  Might matter for other uses like a professional setting in a office. But I'm at Home with Home! 

• Thanks 1

I use both Home and Pro: the only reason I use Pro is that its a desktop machine given to me from my last job, a few years ago. Its the primary machine I use to record on, since it has the capability to use 2 monitors, which were also gifted to me from that job.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, razor7music said:

Does it matter?

I think you need pro to use Remote Desktop to wirelessly project to something like an iPad so you can have it across the room to work with your DAW? I have Home and trying to access Remote Desktop in settings says it’s a Pro feature. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

I think you need pro to use Remote Desktop to wirelessly project to something like an iPad so you can have it across the room to work with your DAW? I have Home and trying to access Remote Desktop in settings says it’s a Pro feature. 

If that's accurate, that's the first meaningful reason I've heard where a DAW needs Pro.

43 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

8 minutes ago, razor7music said:

If that's accurate, that's the first meaningful reason I've heard where a DAW needs Pro.

There's nothing stopping you using something like VNC though.

I've got a small nettop I use in the house for various small server tasks (e.g. email, source control etc). It runs VNC server on it. I've found it's actually far easier to connect to a VNC enabled device with an apple device than remote desktop, and for Windows it makes pretty much no difference. A lot of VNC solutions are free, but if you're accessing it remotely (i.e. from a public network, rather than your LAN) you might want to get a paid version for the added encryption.

The other thing that you get with Pro is the ability to run VM's using VirtualPC.  IIRC VirtualPC won't run on Home edition.

Again, Home edition will run Oracle's VirtualBox without issue... and in fact, I prefer VirtualBox because its USB support is far better than VirtualPC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Pro

16 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Both - Win 10 Pro on my desktops & Win 10 Home on my laptops.

16 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Pro.

13 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Pro on desktop and ltop.

13 hours ago, John said:

I have always used Windows Pro. I have Pro on my desktop and my laptop. 

10 hours ago, gustabo said:

Pro on music production computer, home on the rest.

@Jacques Boileau, @msmcleod@Kevin Walsh, @Jeremy Oakes, @John, @gustabo

Jacques, msmcleod, Kevin, Jeremy, John, gustabo, thank you. Why Pro?

Edited by Konskoo

14 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

Pro all round - desktop and laptops. should be no issue to use Home version with CbB unless you need some advanced networking and policy settings.

Glenn, thank you.

14 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

some advanced networking and policy settings.

What are these settings?