ALPHAWAVE Tracker .. quirky, interesting? .. $49.99 ( reg $249.99 ) .. mmm, Scam?

aidan o driscoll

7 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

It appeared over right on my Facebook feed in what looks like the sponsored section

I've learned to be ultracynical about anything sold via Facebook. Even stuff that looks legit is often a scam - I'm still trying to get PayPal to refund a BF purchase from what turned out to be a bogus company.  

Big red flags that you're donating to the RipMeOff Association...

• Any company selling something that is not in character with the rest of their catalog or having a catalog similar to an eBay seller (a wild mix of different products) - for example an expensive model guitar being sold alongside designer boots, woman's designer handbags, highend kid toys, tools, etc.
    What they do is find what things are "hot"sellers then create a web suite selling a mix of what would be high priced merchandise at bargain prices.

Got a hot deal? Check out the seller's website and see what else they are selling.
    Still interested - contact the vendor. Many scammers won't respond to emails.
  • Something that is sold supposedly factory direct from a vendor with a gmail address or other free email address..
  • When you get a bogus tracking # with your purchase

Legit info:

https://polyend.com/tracker/

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Tracker--polyend-tracker-tabletop-sampler-wavetable-synthesizer-and-sequencer

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/polyend-tracker

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

I just got an email back from them. Apparently it is a 3rd party unbranded knock off from China. 

considering this isn’t very high tech stuff. (Trackers) I’m supposing someone has had an attempt to do a behringer. 

50 bucks is 50 bucks. If it works it’s amazing. Even if it half works. May still be great and unique.

cross your fingers for me 

• Like 3
  • Meh 1

On 12/18/2020 at 2:40 AM, Luke Syrylo said:

I saw this too and was considering pulling the pin in the hope that this is just a cheap version of the polyend. All behringer. The technology is quite old and polyend could just be price hiking. 

what y’all think. 

I think even if the core concept is old, there is a still cost to develop/manufacture the hardware and to create this specific instance of the  tracker/sound-engine software, which doesn't seem an adaptation of existing software.   Applying the same logic, cirklon and squarp pyramid aren't high tech either being just step sequencers at heart, which has been done cheaply in software too, but they command higher prices than the polyend tracker.

Polyend are unlikely to sell them by the boatload so they have to recoup their investment and make a profit - setting a price that the market will bear that generates sufficient profit to make the project worthwhile isn't price hiking.

The software is what makes the polyend useful - god knows what you'd get on this rip-off.