Hello,

Edit: 23 March 2019
I decided it could be helpful to include a list of upcoming tutorial videos and their links. The video below is the first video in the playlist, but if you are interested in a specific topic, check the following list for quick navigation. If there is no link for it yet, it means I haven't uploaded it. I can take requests, but keep in mind that I run another business on top of my actual Chernobyl Studios audio work, so if I like the idea, it'll get put on the list and I'll get to it when I get to it.

Original Post:
Many of you will probably remember me. I have a channel on YouTube that I created many years ago for creating Cakewalk SONAR Platinum tutorials. I constantly get questions, comments, and requests on those old videos I did years ago. I'm updating all of the Cakewalk videos I did for SONAR Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab.

There are three videos currently online, with 4 more already scheduled to come out this week. Please share this playlist with anybody who is getting started with Cakewalk by Bandlab. I am starting from the very basics and will work all the way through mixing an entire song. It will take a few weeks, but it will be worth it. 😎

Edited by ChernobylStudios
Added extra information, list of upcoming videos.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1

Thanks.  It looks like it will be an interesting video series.  The technical aspects (audio, clear video, etc) is top notch!

One fault I found is that there is a tendency to pick and choose terms.  For example while providing an overview of the various Control Bar modules the video spent a fair amount of time explaining the punch in-out module versus no time at all on the loop or selection modules.   As another example the video also spent more time dismissing the Video sync module than explaining the other modules.

I think your mistake is in not clearly defining your audience and spending too little time on script development.  Who is the video series intended audience?  For instance, is the audience new to DAWs or new to CbB/Sonar?  Does the intended audience have a background in live sound, recording or music production?  Answers to these questions or similar questions should be stated in the beginning of a video series as they define the scope of content coverage.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series.  I'm progressing from Music Creator 6 so there is a lot for me to learn!

Edited by fogle622
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fogle622 said:

Thanks.  It looks like it will be an interesting video series.  The technical aspects (audio, clear video, etc) is top notch!

One fault I found is that there is a tendency to pick and choose terms.  For example while providing an overview of the various Control Bar modules the video spent a fair amount of time explaining the punch in-out module versus no time at all on the loop or selection modules.   As another example the video also spent more time dismissing the Video sync module than explaining the other modules.

I think your mistake is in not clearly defining your audience and spending too little time on script development.  Who is the video series intended audience?  For instance, is the audience new to DAWs or new to CbB/Sonar?  Does the intended audience have a background in live sound, recording or music production?  Answers to these questions or similar questions should be stated in the beginning of a video series as they define the scope of content coverage.

I didn't spend any time on the video sync module because most people who open Cakewalk by Bandlab for the very first time are not scoring films, commercials, or doing anything with film. In all the years I've been doing Cakewalk tutorial videos, I have never once received a question, comment, or request to do any content regarding the Video sync module. It's due to this experience that I didn't spend any time on it.

Going into a little more detail about the Punch-In module made more sense as it's something new users would probably want to use.

I don't know if you're trolling me, but I'd imagine that a person would be able to take it at face-value what the Loop module does. Any in-depth explanation about it would be redundant. 

Yeah, I don't... I mean, it's pretty easy to understand that the audience is very clearly defined: new users to Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

• Sad 1

I'm sorry you believe  I'm trolling you.  That is not my intent and I apologize for making you feel that way.    Once again, I'm sorry.  I will refrain from posting additional comments to your threads.

Edited by fogle622
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, arlen2133 said:

I subscribed. 😊

Although I've been a longtime user, I have a brother that's pretty new to CbBL.

This will be a good introduction.

Thanks for doing this and much success to you!

Thank you. 

On 3/19/2019 at 2:55 AM, fogle622 said:

I'm sorry you believe  I'm trolling you.  That is not my intent and I apologize for making you feel that way.    Once again, I'm sorry.  I will refrain from posting additional comments to your threads.

No worries. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 11:27 PM, razor7music said:

So, instead of replying to the same basic questions of how to use CbBL to every new user that joins the forum over and over again, we just point them to your vids? I love it!

My original goal when starting the channel was exactly this. I actually was personally involved in producing official Cakewalk tutorials on their YouTube channel for a few months before Gibson pulled the plug. 

On 3/21/2019 at 10:10 PM, InstrEd said:

Yep.  I have to say Presonus did it right with Studio One. There are tons of videos to watch and guide you along. One of the things missing from Cakewalk. So any video that helps folks learn CbB is fine by me.

I used the crossover discount to buy Studio One 3.5 and found the DAW to be very similar to Cakewalk. However, I do a lot of MIDI work and I found S1's PRV to be frustrating. I personally believe Cakewalk still has the best PRV functionality. (I may be biased, I used it for over 15 years.)

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 12:27 PM, ChernobylStudios said:

My original goal when starting the channel was exactly this. I actually was personally involved in producing official Cakewalk tutorials on their YouTube channel for a few months before Gibson pulled the plug. 

I used the crossover discount to buy Studio One 3.5 and found the DAW to be very similar to Cakewalk. However, I do a lot of MIDI work and I found S1's PRV to be frustrating. I personally believe Cakewalk still has the best PRV functionality. (I may be biased, I used it for over 15 years.)

The Cakewalk PRV is great! I prefer it over the stock REAPER PRV also. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChernobylStudios said:

I'll get the next video out in a few days. Lots of stuff going on!

I had understood that this tutorial series were the latest with Cakewalk due to the bugs and issues that you are experimenting with the program. Am I correct? Do you have a new deal with Bandlab?

Thank you! Excellent tutorials!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Feral State Sound said:

I had understood that this tutorial series were the latest with Cakewalk due to the bugs and issues that you are experimenting with the program. Am I correct? Do you have a new deal with Bandlab?

Thank you! Excellent tutorials!

These are the original videos I mentioned that I would finish because they are just tips and tricks videos for the program in general. I think they're still useful and for new users would be really helpful. 👍

Thanks for watching!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, Marks Krontāls said:

As I have just downloaded Cakewalk as my first DAW, these tutorials are a massive help for me! There are not much tutorials on youtube on the new Cakewalk. Thank you for doing this, they are really great. Super nice tips.

Glad they are helpful for you! 👍

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have played around with CbB since the update and I'm happy to see the plugin issue was fixed, as well as a whole host of other bugs and issues.

I may need to continue these tutorials when I have time.

Just a shot in the dark, if I put together a comprehensive video tutorial series recording a song with free plugins and instruments and charged for it, what would you guys be willing to pay and what would you expect to see in it?

• Like 1