Issue with magic tool when comping take lanes?

Cristiano Sadun

Anybody experiencing problems with the magic tool when comping? (version 26.11.0.098) It's always worked flawlessly but now clip resizing seems to have acquired a bug. 

It happens when I have "cut" a clip with the magic tool in comping mode  (which works fine).

But then when I move the borders of the clip in the track lane (by floating on the crossfade and moving the mouse vertically until it becomes the  "comped clip border moving" tool) and resize the clip with click and drag, CW often shrinks the clip on the right side, leaving a hole between the right side of the clip and the next clip.

It doesn't happen all the time. but quite often. I have no special settings  different than what I've always used (auto crossfade, haven't touched anything related to the arranger etc), nor touching any key modifier when dragging to move the clip border.

If I use the "comp" tool (as opposite to the magic tool in comp mode) all seems to be fine.

Anyone else seeing this?

Edited by Cristiano Sadun
  • Confused 1

I haven't used the comping for a while but I have always had issues with the comping system leaving gaps or creating weird crossfades.  I don't have a solution but if can trim your project down to a minimal size you can submit it to the dev team (support@cakewalk.com) and see if they can determine what is causing it.

6 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I haven't used the comping for a while but I have always had issues with the comping system leaving gaps or creating weird crossfades.  I don't have a solution but if can trim your project down to a minimal size you can submit it to the dev team (support@cakewalk.com) and see if they can determine what is causing it.

Thank you, will do. It's odd because for me it's always been working flawlessly - other stuff with take lanes is quirky, especially when pasting in regular clips, but that specific "hole" issue is new to me..

Let me know if you figure out what caused this behavior, because I want it to happen on my system. 😁I seldom wish to move the split point around, rather I want to do slip editing of one or the other clips, which requires me to hold ctrl or hit the F8 key.

j/k, it does look like there is a bug of some kind.

Right now on my system, the hotspot selection is acting weird. I tried this to duplicate your issue, and at first it worked as you say, as if you had held the ctrl key, but then I did a couple of undo's and tried it a couple of more times, going back and forth. Now, for me, it's behaving the opposite way, where the ctrl key will no longer make it so that it will drag one side or the other.

I tend to avoid using the comping tool because it creates a mess in many instances, especially if you have more than two takes that overlap and the overlaps are not the same. You end up muting parts you wanted to keep, pushing wrong takes to the front, some of the smart tool options are very finicky with where in the clips your cursor has to be on, etc. It's almost like you're running with scissors that are on fire.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yes, but, it still seems a bug, as it happens randomly when moving a crossfade, i.e. hotspot H with no modifier keys (and the mouse pointer is what it should be, it changes entering the various hotspots, does it?)

It seems to be  more of an issue when there are many takes, more than just the usual two or three. The video refreshes more slowly (I can see the crossfade "painted") and suddenly the hole happens, often not in the active clip whose crossfade is being applied, but at the end of the clip immediately on the right.

When it happens, it tends to happen consistently but I cannot trigger it at will. 

A typical workaround is to create a new clip by entirely overlapping the ones that create the malfunction... the problem never occurs when defining the clip - only when moving the  crossfade between two existing clips.

But the main danger is not noticing that it happens, as then if one saves the project suddenly there's a clip that needs to be recovered from the original audio file, which is a pain in the bottom...

Also, not exactly sure when the issue began to appear, but I guess the last couple updates - I've never seen this issue before.

Edited by Cristiano Sadun
  • Like 1