Dropout has Stpped audio engine

Alex Mazur

I sure  apprecaite any advice..kinda in a crucnh and a bit of a novice.  I have 8 tracks in a project and I want to export each track individually as.wav.  But every time  I start the export process i get the popup saying "A dropout has caused the audio engine to stop."  However the track continues to render and seems to sound fine when done, but I am concerned.  Should I be?

I don't have a particualarly pwerful computer but havent' seemcd to have problems before.  I guess I will try rebooting and see if that changes anything.  I have nothing else running and cpu load is is veyr low in task manager.  I also wondered about deleting all the other tracks when exporting?  They are muted so I wouldn't think have any impact.  Ok sincerely appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forum.
Are these MIDI tracks playing through software synthesizers? What are the synths? Or are they all audio tracks or a mix?
Are you using any effects in any of the tracks? Which effects?
Are you using the computer's onboard sound card or an external audio interface? What is the device?
Do you know which audio driver you're using (MME, WDM, WASAPI or ASIO)?

Thanks so much for the quick replies!!.  They are just audio tracks.  No effects at all.  They are 44.1, 16 bit mastested songs Ijust loaded them all to do my own normalization prior to writing to CD.

I am using a Focusrite Scarlet 4i4 and using the ASIO driver

Again, the weird thing is the error message pops up right when I start the export, but the process continues and the final files that uis exported SEEMS to be fine...but that makes me nervous

One thing I just had happen because I was working on videos and using 48hz, Cakewalk would drop out when switch back to 44.1 or I loaded a 44.1 project. So is it possible your interface is having to change sample rates? This shouldn't happen but it is a possibility.  If your projects are 48 and your exporting to 44.1. But as said this is off line and shouldn't matter.  But it might explain the drop out and why the export is unaffected.  I don't think the export uses your ASIO driver or the audio engine. But if it's converting?? 

Edited by John Vere