Kawai K1 and Kawai K4 Instrument Definitions

Jim Balkovec

I was looking for instrument definitions for the Kawai K1 and Kawai K4 but could not find any so I created a .ins file myself. Happy to give back in some small way to the community for all the help I received over the years!  The attached  "Kawai K1 K4.ins" has definitions for all the stock K1 (https://kawaius.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/K1.zip) and K4 (https://kawaius.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/K4.zip) patches available from the Kawaiusa website. 

Happy Holidays!

Kawai K1 K4.ins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Jim, I have a K1 sitting right in front of me. It's my main MIDI controller because I like the action so much.

Of course, every track where I use it I have to filter out those blasted "All Notes Off" messages that it sends out whenever it detects that I've lifted off the last key. Otherwise my ambient pads get staccato and I get ugly clicks elsewhere. Years ago, before I figured out what it was doing I rejected a number of freeware synths because I thought they had crackling problems. It turned out to be my "All Notes Off" spewing controller.

Can't seem to get it off the desk, though. Such a nice action, not too springy, not too much inertia, I can fly on the thing, nice rounded keys for organ smears....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Thanks, Jim, I have a K1 sitting right in front of me. It's my main MIDI controller because I like the action so much.

Of course, every track where I use it I have to filter out those blasted "All Notes Off" messages that it sends out whenever it detects that I've lifted off the last key. Otherwise my ambient pads get staccato and I get ugly clicks elsewhere. Years ago, before I figured out what it was doing I rejected a number of freeware synths because I thought they had crackling problems. It turned out to be my "All Notes Off" spewing controller.

Can't seem to get it off the desk, though. Such a nice action, not too springy, not too much inertia, I can fly on the thing, nice rounded keys for organ smears....

I stopped using my K1 as a controller because of the All Notes Off thing...  I used MIDI-OX to filter them out for a while, but I got fed up with patching it up every time I booted up.  

Pity really, as it was the only decent priced keyboard with channel aftertouch. I use an EMU X-Board now when I need aftertouch.

If I was still using the K1, nowadays I'd probably spend £15 / $20 on an arduino + MIDI shield and have it do the filtering for me.