Looking for a passive way to combine the outputs of 4 synth modules.

Notes_Norton

21 hours ago, msmcleod said:

<...snip...>

Prior to that, I built a passive mixer using RCA sockets and a bunch of 4.7K resistors:

image.png.d31516ac8f3892a6b0e395d3b24a6480.pngimage.png.0dd5532891ee0fb007314de0f05354bb.png 

image.png.01afa835c28f0a6c4d78d24976276b7b.png

Thanks a lot.

I built 4 input, one output with 4.7k resistors and an old project box. Tried it out and it works. I can't hear any more noise coming out of the PA speakers, and to my ears, it doesn't degrade the tone or volume any. At least not a noticeable amount.

I could now get along with an 8 channel mixer. It doesn't give me a spare channel if one goes bad though (I had one go bad last weekend, and plugged into the spare. So I'll probably still look for a 10.

line mixer small.jpg

• Like 1

I note you have already found your solution. 

Another thought is to use a 1U line mixer (no tone controls, just for the synths) plus a 3U rack mixer (e.g. RX1202FX) or 2u (IMG Stageline MPX-622/SW 6-Channel Stereo Audio Mixer) for submix plus vocals

The above 2 examples are just from Google search. I don't know how heavy duty they are. 

Wei Liang 

Edited by yapweiliang
Punctuation

• 1 month later...

Hi Notes

I don't know if this would work, but I have used in the past Alesis Multimix 8 Line Rack mounted mixers. I have used something similar from Behringer as well, but they were not available here in Africa.

They are light and not too expensive - from memory I am sure they were 8 stereo channel mixers - They are 1U so if you got two of them, I think that would cover your needs??

Nigel

On 4/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, MoreCowbell! said:

Notes. How many MPL1204's do you have? Would you have one non-functioning that you'd like to sell as a parts princess?

I have 4, two are in for repair now. Sorry, I don't have one to sell.

I thought about not getting them fixed anymore, because I figured newer technology would be better. But I cannot find a 12 channel, small rack space (4 spaces or less), with inputs/outputs all on the back. I see some advertised as 12 channel mixers, but in reality they are only 10s (two channels of the 10 are stereo).

So I decided to put the broken ones in the shop and keep using the dinosaurs until someone comes up with a good replacement.

I think the manufacturers find home recording people to be the big market, and actual live musicians to be a dying market. I think they have a point. I see fewer gigging opportunities than I've had all my life. Fortunately we have a lot of loyal clients we've been working for, some for decades now, and are still able to help them turn a profit.

I feel sorry for young musicians, as there aren't the opportunities to play live that I had growing up. When I was younger, ever hotel from a Holiday Inn on up had a band, at least 6 nights a week. Singles bars all used live bands, as DJs hadn't cornered the market yet. And so many other venues have gone Sports Bar, Open Mic Night, Karaoke Night, Comedy Night, and perhaps one band night per week.

Things change.

Since I am a multi-instrumentalist, back in 1992 I started my Band-in-a-Box aftermarket style/songs business to help supplement my income in the diminishing gig market. It's still going well, and although it won't make me rich, it keeps me home during the slow season.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:11 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Notes

I don't know if this would work, but I have used in the past Alesis Multimix 8 Line Rack mounted mixers. I have used something similar from Behringer as well, but they were not available here in Africa.

They are light and not too expensive - from memory I am sure they were 8 stereo channel mixers - They are 1U so if you got two of them, I think that would cover your needs??

Nigel

Thanks, but I need 11 channels.

Notes

It seems to be out of production. I'd be trading one orphan for another. Since I have 4 Samsons, that seems to be my best bet.

I'd like to find something still in production from a reliable manufacturer. If I can't I'll just keep sending the Samson units back for repair once every year or so.

Insights and incites by Notes

If it were me, I'd look at using 2 x Behringer RX1602 mixers, and daisy chain them.

In saying that, for live use, extending your passive mixer to 12 channels should be fine. Lowering the resistors to 2.2K might work better for more channels.

You could modify an old patchbay for the housing, or just use a 1U panel pre-holed for 1/4" sockets at the back.

Alternatively, get an ABS rack case similar to this and drill the holes yourself. It's much easier to drill plastic, and it will weigh much less too.

https://www.newark.com/pro-power/g17081ug/case-19-abs-1u-grey/dp/74M2232

Notes

Yes I realized that - but would my suggestion not give you enough if you used one mixer for say 6 or 7 of your requirements, then used the output from that mixer as an instrument input on the next mixer - a type of daisy chain?

Nigel

Yes that would wor

12 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Notes

Yes I realized that - but would my suggestion not give you enough if you used one mixer for say 6 or 7 of your requirements, then used the output from that mixer as an instrument input on the next mixer - a type of daisy chain?

Nigel

That would work Nigel, but for me, rotating the Samsons in and out of the repair shop is the better option.

Two mixers would definitely take up more than 4 rack spaces, and rack space is at a premium for someone who does one-nighters. The idea is to make things as light and easy to set up as possible.

We allow 1.5 hours setup time and 1 hour tear down time. One rolling rack space for PA and synth modules, two powered speakers, two small monitors, two microphones, two guitars (with amp sim/fx pedals), one sax, one flute, one wind MIDI controller, one pedal for wind MIDI controller,  one tactile MIDI controller, two microphones,  3 computers (we only need two, but the spare is up and running at all times) and more cables than I want to count.

The extra half hour set up time is because if I don't allow it, that is when a cable will fail risking me missing the downbeat. Entertainment purchasers can tell time, and some don't take kindly to bands starting late.

We carry a suitcase full of spares and other devices that might go wrong. One-nighers are hard on gear.

Insights and incites by Notes