Sounding with one second delay

lapasoa

Lately I added a Dim Pro instance to an already recorded song. Playing the keyborad  I could listen to notes with one second delay! Sob!

I have tried numerous attempts to solve the issue, but of no avail.

Finally at last I''ve found that delay was caused by Izotope RX7 De - Click.

In another song the same issue, but this time was caused by the use of  Adactive Limiter on a bus.

Why those issues happened? Maybe the last november updates?

I can't understand why that happened.

The plugins run additional delay. It's fairly common depending on the plugin. They require extra time to do their processing, so in this case that latency is giving the plugin time to fix those clicks before you hear it. You can either freeze those tracks to record, or temporarily disable them to get around it. 

On 12/16/2020 at 3:06 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

The plugins run additional delay. It's fairly common depending on the plugin. They require extra time to do their processing, so in this case that latency is giving the plugin time to fix those clicks before you hear it. You can either freeze those tracks to record, or temporarily disable them to get around it. 

I don''t think so. Playing Dim Pro previously, before adding RX7, was OK.

After adding RX7 in some FX bin, when playing keyboard with Dim Pro, I hear a delay.

Aftert removing RX7 everything is again all right.

Same exact thing in the case of Adaptive Limiter.

1 hour ago, lapasoa said:

I don''t think so. Playing Dim Pro previously, before adding RX7, was OK.

After adding RX7 in some FX bin, when playing keyboard with Dim Pro, I hear a delay.

Aftert removing RX7 everything is again all right.

Same exact thing in the case of Adaptive Limiter.

This is totally expected.

Both RX7 and Adaptive Limiter are look-ahead plugins, which add significant latency.

Every time a plugin is added, the highest latency is applied to the whole project.  It needs to do this, so everything happens at the correct time. All DAWs work this way.

There're a few ways around this:

1. Use the FX button on the control bar to bypass all effects.
2. Temporarily bypass the effects that are adding latency
3. Click the PDC button on the control bar to disable plugin delay compensation (this will mean things are recorded at the wrong time - but you can move your clips afterwards).
4. Temporarily Freeze the tracks with the high latency plugins on

• Like 1

Here is the section from the Adaptive Limiter documentation on its lookahead buffer

Lookahead

The Adaptive Limiter uses look-ahead peak detection to reduce the gain just before a peak. Lookahead peak detection can prevent clipping, and lets you preserve transients, while still avoiding ultra-fast attack times thatmight cause distortion or aliasing.

The Lookahead control lets you specify how far in advance the limiter should start reacting before gain change is

actually detected.

The Lookahead settings are as follows:

• Minimum = 1.5 ms at 44.1 kHz sample rate (662 samples)
  • Low = 3 ms at 44.1 kHz sample rate (1323 samples)
  • Medium = 5 ms at 44.1 kHz sample rate (2205 samples)
  • High = 10 ms at 44.1 kHz sample rate (4410 samples)

The setting is on the expert menu.

It was advice given to me on the old forum a long way back. I guess when I started using the LP MUlti band I really noticed a midi delay. The global works great because it is very visible and by shutting everything off, you won't forget to turn it back on when finished recording. Funny thing is you shut it off and sometimes your song sounds better!