Ubisoft Xmas Giveaway 2020 and Epic's holiday promotion (video games)

Matthew Sorrels

27 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I am getting nothing more at Ubisoft connect app .. that is if there are daily freebies still? This is what I have ( Creed from last year ). Should I be doing something other than previously clicking that link in the OP which I did previously

UbisoftConnect1.jpg

I think it ended, I clicked earlier today and it said it was no longer valid.  Not as much a fan of the Ubisoft store/launcher but still a fan of free games so I was slightly bummed.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I think it ended, I clicked earlier today and it said it was no longer valid.  Not as much a fan of the Ubisoft store/launcher but still a fan of free games so I was slightly bummed.

The free stuff was addons for games I don't have.  It was pretty useless. Meanwhile Epic Games is doing giveaways.

21 hours ago, Paul Young said:

The free stuff was addons for games I don't have.  It was pretty useless. Meanwhile Epic Games is doing giveaways.

Thank you.  Definitely have been picking up every free Epic offering.  They're surprisingly good.  Great or amazing?  I guess that would be a stretch but they're overall pretty good.  I already have Torchlight and even though that's old I really like the first two and would recommend them both.  The third is on sale for the Steam Winter Sale right now but still a little worried about that one based on reviews and such.

5 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

I've got so many games after the Ubisoft freebies I haven't got room to install the Epic ones yet until I decide which of the former are worth keeping!

That's the problem with games nowadays; they take up Epic amounts of disk space! 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Paul Young said:

Despite the "great" reviews it's one of the worst games I've played.

There are others in the series, right?  Are they (or possibly it, since it may be only one other game in the series) better?

5 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I've got so many games after the Ubisoft freebies I haven't got room to install the Epic ones yet until I decide which of the former are worth keeping!

I am selective about installing these Epic freebies.  I have installed all that I purchased from them but only a couple of the free ones (including when Rocket League went free to play, though I already purchased that one on many platforms, many times over (including for other people).  I missed Subnautica so I was hoping they'd repeat that one as I'd install that one right away.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

There are others in the series, right?  Are they (or possibly it, since it may be only one other game in the series) better?

I am selective about installing these Epic freebies.  I have installed all that I purchased from them but only a couple of the free ones (including when Rocket League went free to play, though I already purchased that one on many platforms, many times over (including for other people).  I missed Subnautica so I was hoping they'd repeat that one as I'd install that one right away.

My mistake.    It was Metro Exodus that I didn't like.  The game above is decent.  I didn't really care for the ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

My mistake.    It was Metro Exodus that I didn't like.  The game above is decent.  I didn't really care for the ending.

Isn't Exodus the final/latest instalment in the series? Did they do a poor job despite doing a good first (2033) and second (Last Light) entry in the series?

On 12/23/2020 at 4:07 AM, Matthew Sorrels said:

There is a website  https://steamdb.info/ that will give you stats on your Steam collection.  This morning here's my status:

image.png.07ca880ae8835248c2cdaf85c37a27a0.png

So 2662 games.  Only 11 of which I've played more than 12 hours.  GAS isn't just for plugins.

Never Played - that's my favorite game on Steam too!
Though your score is a bit higher than mine:(

• Like 1

21 hours ago, antler said:

Isn't Exodus the final/latest instalment in the series? Did they do a poor job despite doing a good first (2033) and second (Last Light) entry in the series?

Exodus is the game I didn't even bother to archive.   It was the only recent game I played where a crash required restarting the system.

4 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

Today's game is Inside

Thanks for the reminder (though I already had it).  Interesting to me, though, is that with the dailies they don't have a second option when the main is game that is 18+.  I'm not complaining, but it is different than their normal giveaways where they offer a family-friendly game as well.

But really, no complaints, just an observation.  I believe they had hinted that the giveaways in general wouldn't happen even in 2020 and now it looks like they continue to go all in and I wouldn't be surprised to see the normal (weekly?) giveaways last well into or even through 2021.  Let's hope the Unreal Engine keeps kicking ***** (more and continued use on high-visibility projects like The Mandalorian and in non-gaming industries like automotive and architecture surely help keep Epic profitable and we benefit) to allow for these freebies.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeGBradford said:

Is it any good?

Inside is quite good.  It seems like a more cosmetically-enhanced Limbo experience on the surface and for me delivered a bit deeper and more interesting gameplay overall.  Makes sense that six years later they'd have improved the formula so to speak, and Limbo is no slouch of a game by any means.