AAS Sound Pack Gifts are going out now!

cclarry

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

Then again, just tried it, some pretty good sounds in there, while we’re waiting for Strum 3 of course. 

I thought the demo was very ordinary / borderline meh given that I would expect it to showcase the best bits. Does it have demo hidden depths?

All right! Epicycles is mine!

Here's a public service announcement to all A|A|S users:

If you, like me, only use the VST3 version of the plug-in, you may be able to free up half a Gig of SSD space by going to these directories

• C:\Program Files(86)\Common Files\VST3
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Digidesign
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Avid
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins
  • C:\Program Files\VSTPlugIns
  • C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-Ins
  • C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins

....and checking to see what useless cruft has been installed behind your back. If you've never done it, you'll find out that you've been harboring duplicate and 32-bit and Pro Tools versions of certainly A|A|S products and likely iZotope, Meldaproduction, and Native Instruments as well. Deleting NI's duplicates alone was almost 400Meg.

Even if drive space is not a consideration, Cakewalk (and others) enumerates every plug-in on startup, so having to log these and then eliminate them adds more startup time, as well as plug-in menu clutter.

As far as I can tell, A|A|S' installer looks for every folder with "vstplugins" in its name and drops a copy in it (maybe not, but it seems like it).

Of course, if you know that another program needs 32-bit versions, or VST2 versions, leave them alone, delete anything at your own risk. I've never had trouble caused by deleting every file (not folder) in all these folders (except the one under Cakewalk, leave the Cakewalk native stuff alone). If you somehow mess something up and a plug-in won't load, delete it and reinstall and it should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, paulo said:

I thought the demo was very ordinary / borderline meh given that I would expect it to showcase the best bits. Does it have demo hidden depths?

There’s this focus on ambient guitar sounds I like, with some Adaptiverb soundscaping.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

All right! Epicycles is mine!

Here's a public service announcement to all A|A|S users:

If you, like me, only use the VST3 version of the plug-in, you may be able to free up half a Gig of SSD space by going to these directories

....and checking to see what useless cruft has been installed behind your back. If you've never done it, you'll find out that you've been harboring duplicate and 32-bit and Pro Tools versions of certainly A|A|S products and likely iZotope, Meldaproduction, and Native Instruments as well. Deleting NI's duplicates alone was almost 400Meg.

Even if drive space is not a consideration, Cakewalk (and others) enumerates every plug-in on startup, so having to log these and then eliminate them adds more startup time, as well as plug-in menu clutter.

As far as I can tell, A|A|S' installer looks for every folder with "vstplugins" in its name and drops a copy in it (maybe not, but it seems like it).

Of course, if you know that another program needs 32-bit versions, or VST2 versions, leave them alone, delete anything at your own risk. I've never had trouble caused by deleting every file (not folder) in all these folders (except the one under Cakewalk, leave the Cakewalk native stuff alone). If you somehow mess something up and a plug-in won't load, delete it and reinstall and it should be fine.

IK:
dd0.png

(ok well we don't drop in all of those folders but you might find some VST2/AAX/etc that could be removed...)

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Kidding aside, the biggest issue with A|A|S content for me is that there's just so much of it, and the player has no facility to "favorite" a patch. I got the charity deal many of us did a couple years back where you got licenses for 10 or so soundpacks, and a couple of Pluginboutique freebies, so I have about 15 of them.

The full Chromaphone 2 instrument also suffers from the same shortcoming. Thankfully AAS included favorites in V3 with their much improved browser!

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

If you tell us what kind of music and sounds you're into, maybe we can make recommendations. I'd love to see this. My corner is ambient downtempo, so I know which ones of those I find most useful.

Thanks that would be really helpful. I'm into a wide range of stuff: orchestral, ambient / soundscapes, folk, 'world' - (especially African, Middle Eastern, Eastern European), rock. I like arpeggio and sequenced sounds as well to get inspiration from. I already have Swatches, Angelicals, Frontier and Ultra Analogue Session 3 all of which I'll have picked up free or cheap!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

a few more (although some might find it useful to keep these plugins here as a backup):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins
  • C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins

and for those that detest any 32-bit plugins on their system:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\VstPlugins    OR    any other path you specified for 32-bit plugin during instal

I'd call it pretty comprehensive installation :D:D 

• Great Idea 2

9 minutes ago, JoeGBradford said:

ambient / soundscapes, folk, 'world' - (especially African, Middle Eastern, Eastern European)

My favorite for the first is Cinémathèque. For the last, any of Masala, Masala 2, or Journeys would likely yield hours of fun. Fortunately, they have Swatches so that you can demo a dozen or so of each, so make sure to get the latest version of Swatches and give 'em a listen.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chris.r said:

a few more (although some might find it useful to keep these plugins here as a backup):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins
  • C:\Program Files\Applied Acoustics Systems\VST Plug-ins

😫Good heavens, this is why I wanted to write them all out. Well-spotted, sir.

Also, this just in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins

This is ridiculous. The list now actually goes to 12. I'm going to compile all this and post it in Tutorials.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 4