Cakewalk hangs after close

jono grant

6 hours ago, jono grant said:

Any reason this would happen?

sometimes it has failed to drop the audio driver; you can force this to happen by power-cycling an external audio device, or for internal to can disable/re-enable it in device manager

/hth

On 12/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, jono grant said:

Does anyone have the problem: Cakewalk sticks around in Task Manager after closing? 

Any reason this would happen? (quite often)

Thanks

JG

I can't tell you where it is at, but in the settings there use to be a setting that would allow cakewalk to send data back to "cakewalk servers" for development purposes.

You need to be sure that that is not checked to be active - the result would be that the closing process will try to report back to the "old Gibson server" which of course does not exist!   This will hang due to no IP resolution and cause Cakewalk to hang in the "task manager" (unless you kill the process).

I found this to be quite the pain if you don't know that it is selected (report back to server) since it takes quite a long time to release (disappear in Task Manager ).

I would check that - of course this could have been fixed and no longer a problem, but I believe I have had this happen with in the last year.

Syphus

Are you on the latest version? This used to happen to me as well but has gone away. I can close Cakewalk and the piano midi icon is gone instantly now. I found that impressive. It used to always stick around for at least 30 seconds and longer for as long as I can remember. I just noticed this the other day because I closed Cakewalk and then I opened it almost within 10 seconds because I forgot to do something. I was surprised it opened so fast. 

And this for me is on 2 completely different computers/ interfaces so it can't be a system issue. 

9 hours ago, Syphus said:

I can't tell you where it is at, but in the settings there use to be a setting that would allow cakewalk to send data back to "cakewalk servers" for development purposes.

You need to be sure that that is not checked to be active - the result would be that the closing process will try to report back to the "old Gibson server" which of course does not exist!   This will hang due to no IP resolution and cause Cakewalk to hang in the "task manager" (unless you kill the process).

I found this to be quite the pain if you don't know that it is selected (report back to server) since it takes quite a long time to release (disappear in Task Manager ).

I would check that - of course this could have been fixed and no longer a problem, but I believe I have had this happen with in the last year.

Syphus

This is no longer an issue.

2 hours ago, shane said:

This happens 100% of the time on my crashes, which are about once a day?  
I always assumed it was a problem letting go of my MIDIMAN MIDISPORT 8x8 Drivers, and the only solution is to reboot. 

I use the MidiSport 8x8 (the old blue & yellow one), and I don't have issues with it causing CbB to crash not close properly. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 2:36 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Some drivers don’t terminate and hold the app captive. I’ve not seen this in many years but the some of the old Roland Drivers did this.

Ahh, this might explain why this happens to me after a crash (FA-66 interface). Can't even end it in Task Manager. Sometimes opening another audio prog such as Audacity will clear it, but other times I have to log off in windows and then that clears it.

On a related note, is there anyway to stop CW dumping GB's of files into system error memory dump every time it crashes ? A while back, investigating why my OS HD kept filling up when nothing new had been changed/added for a long time led me to 35GB worth of CW related files in this location, which I guess came from crashes? Apologies if I haven't used quite the right terminology on the location it is dumped to, but it is something like that. Using disk clean-up I can get rid of it, but it would be nice to not have to keep doing it.

Edited by paulo