The Lord's Prayer

Starise

So for those who know I make mostly acoustic music  often using unorthodox instruments which I hope gives the music  different sound. 

I also just muck about with different genre for the fun of it. Having lately joined a choir I have been returning to a few hymns that remind me of old times. 

The Lord's Prayer is a pretty common Christian prayer many are familiar with.  I decided to put it to the kind of music I most often make. That's the first one posted.

I made two more that were nothing alike . " It Is Well With My Soul"- This is a traditional hymn sung in a traditional way. The next is a rocker WAY off from the other two called " Jesus Is Coming"

I'm only going to post the first one here . I'll try to link the others in case anyone is curious.

https://soundcloud.com/starise/it-is-well-with-my-soul-old-christian-hymn

https://soundcloud.com/starise/jesus-is-coming

Much of this is  ideas. Meaning I had an idea, went with it and mixed it the best I could on limited time. Mostly coming from a musician approach as opposed to a mix approach. 

If anything this stuff is REAL and no huge amount of retakes or track doctoring took place. I know with a few more vocal retakes in places and some minor "alignments" I could be tighter. Comments welcome!

• Like 3

On 12/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, David Sprouse said:

You have a seriously great voice.  There are some minor timing issues, but the overall production is really good. The way you parsed the original into lyrics is effective. 5 stars thumbs up.

Thanks. With me it's always the timing . Seems to be one of my main issues on everything.. I really should revisit it. I'm already working on something else. Do you find it difficult to go back to something you thought was pretty much done? It feels like reading a book again for me.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, Hidden Symmetry said:

Nice track, enjoyed the rendition. I always like hearing initial takes, ideas & ad libs.  Sometimes the redos  can never quite capture the original vibe.

Thank you Hidden Symmetry. I often feel the same way. 

On 12/15/2020 at 4:35 AM, garybrun said:

Nice.
Little bit of Barry McGuire sound and a little of Henery VIII  🙂
Well done.

Thank Gary. Ok maybe Henry the Vlll right after a meal? You're a singer too. Have you ever "acted" with your voice? In other words how do we sound if we're not singing like us? 

On 12/15/2020 at 7:37 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I liked the atmosphere of the mix - it had plenty of depth to it. I really liked the flute in this.

Nice job on the lead vocal - I thought you sang it well.

Thanks Douglas for comments!

On 12/15/2020 at 10:22 AM, 53mph said:

Great voice and Celtic flair - definitely some timing issues. I'd do another take if I were you to tighten it up, then you've got a sure fire placement track on your hands.

Thank you. Celtic seems to be my main fit. Not sure why. I'm only 15% Irish. I will see what I can do with that timing. Maybe I can do it without retakes.

19 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Sometimes that's the best approach, lay it down, print it: move on...

👍

t

Thank you very much for commenting here. I'm basically a print it and move on kinda guy which probably isn't the best for the mix. It was more fun though :)

46 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

This is very nice.  Has the kind of atmosphere that lends itself well to a Christian Prayer, especially one from the Lord Himself.

🙂 John B

Johnbee58. I try to say it every day. God knows we could use some kingdom come down here. Thanks for comments.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 7:11 PM, Jesse Screed said:

personally, I think you did a great job on the Lord's Prayer.  Such a simple prayer that says so much.

The other cut

It is a rocker Starise, and you should be pleased

much to learn in there that

Jesse,

Thank you.

On 12/21/2020 at 2:12 AM, bjornpdx said:

I like the Celtic sound of this song. From the description I take it you're using real instruments? Very good performance. Kind of wanted more bass but I'm being too picky probably. Good job!

Thank you bjornpdx,

I'm beginning to get lazy in not using real instruments. I sort of transfer my basic guitar playing techniques to soft synths  In many cases I can't get the kind of sound quality that can be had with a quality VST instrument. Since I'm not the best guitarist, there's usually a finger noise or little blurb somewhere in anything I make. Even though I have good mics I don't have the best recording space for acoustic guitar.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, Gswitz said:

Enjoyed it, Starise. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks Gswitz!

23 hours ago, Mickey Scott said:

Always start with a drum track to work from. You can always mute the drums. but that gives you the glue to keep your groove moving together.

Great idea! Thanks.

7 hours ago, jack c. said:

nice recording job.bring up voice a tad.on some of your higher notes a tad off but rest of voice sounds nice.jack c.

Thanks Jack.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:26 PM, Starise said:

Thank Gary. Ok maybe Henry the Vlll right after a meal? You're a singer too. Have you ever "acted" with your voice? In other words how do we sound if we're not singing like us? 

Yes I have acted with my voice when doing impersonations etc.
I find I am influenced on how I have heard a song before and by which artist has recorded it or others who have sang it.
I also fin that my vibrato changes depending on what instruments are used etc. etc.

Many of these things are involuntary and we are influenced highly to what we listen too.
As a young lad living with my grandparents I used to listen a lot to Jim Reeves,  Elvis, Sinatra and pre war stuff.

I also find this overlaps over to mixing and mastering.
I somehow use a lot of reverb because that's what I was used to in the  early 1990s and dont know I am doing it.
It was my son who pointed it out to me.
Be these things are like fashion "What goes around .. comes around" and keeps changing.

• Thanks 1

Hey Tim - this is really great!  I love the guitar and flute and really nice instrumentation.

if I could critique a little, though, your vocals sound "distant" - as if you were singing too far away from the mic.  

the sound of your voice is great, you have a good voice - but the recording of your vocals is very different from the instrumentation.  they sound like 2 completely different things that have been put together.  

• Like 1