Request to have  single tracks configured as multichannel to work with newer plugins

Kurt Nielsen

Hi I've purchased some plugins from dearVR and unfortunately Cakewalk is a bit behind other DAWs in this category and isn't fully compatible.  I'd really love to see Cakewalk's functionality be current with the newer audio plugins. There are a few other DAWs that currently do this but buying another DAW, the learning curve might just kill me at this point as I've been heavily invested with Cakewalk since Pro Audio 9.

Perhaps a smart way to do this is to be able to drag and drop a speaker preset from Cakewalk's preferences or while a track is selected and a preset chosen just hit apply

but allow the option for a custom preset in preferences.

You already have most of the infrastructure ie; multichannels & speaker assignment options, they just need the option to be merged as a track and the speaker settings in preferences is no longer the speaker output but a preset selection to apply to different tracks.

I work mostly with multichannel and makes a big difference even listening with a stereo headset but the new plugins can now downmix multichannel audio into binaural to monitor multichannel audio on your headphones with greater sophistication/outputs than your hardware would normally allow and provide reference listening environments to get an idea what your multichannel mix might sound like like in a car, Van, kitchen, Venu etc! 

Please make this happen!

Thank you

Edited by Kurt Nielsen

4 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

using  the project -> surround settings, a track output to a multichannel buss is essentially multichannel... then output the multichannel buss to a stereo buss which is the source for your headphones? sennheiser, waves, etc have (i'm guessing) similar to the dearVR binaural, surround, etc

That's what I thought too but there is no multi channel connectivity (tabs missing) that works with all the channels on dearVR it seems.  If I apply dearVR pro to the surround bus multichannels config tabs do show and show they are connected on the surround tab only as shown in the attached image.  Either added as a track effect with the track connected to a surround bus or surround bus alone I cannot access any features accept one binaural output, everything else it greyed out and it shouldn't be.  In the  dearVR manual they specifically call out Cakewalk as having hardware limitations.

As it was explained to me, dearVR music/Pro is a 3D panner that produces a binaural sound and can export that 3D sound either binaural stereo audio file or as multichannel through the DAW for other channels if the DAW's track is multichannel   but if you use dearVR Monitor you can additionally assign all your channels in the plugin and have the audio downmixed and matched in binaural form and hear reference rooms/venus to get an idea what your listeners would hear in those environments.

dearVR specifically calls out Cakewalk "Due to restrictions within these hosts, no multichannel or Ambisonics outputs are available."   page 46  https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0120/4748/2938/files/dearVRpro_Manual_v1.4.1_rev4.pdf?v=1591283987 

A track with surround output doesn't quite become an actual surround track, the audio just seems to get sent to the surround bus. You can see that when a surround output is added to a track it keeps stereo LED bars  compared to a surround bus which is given multi-channel LED bars even though you can control the sound with the 3d panner in the track.

Maybe I should just request MultiChannel to Binaural Listening mode for headphones.

image.png

image.png

i was playing around with the dearMICRO and AMBIMICRO on a stereo bus and the panning seems to work as a 360 effect although the up/down vertical pan is using EQ to create that. i noticed it's based on the Sennheiser AMBEO tech (which i also have) and all seems ok. on surround 5.1 (even though i'm routing to same two channels on my laptop, my desktop is offline for the moment which does have proper 5.1) the panning seems to behave as i'd expect it via my headphones.

in your case, you look like need something to route or simulate a complete 5.1. Waves NX has a 5.1 plugin emulation for headphones (which i've never tried but may have to now) and there dearVR monitor might also. there are several other headphone surround emulating plugins out there as well which may allow you to set up the routing preferences better.

https://www.waves.com/nx

https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room (which is what i have)

Edited by Glenn Stanton

16 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i was playing around with the dearMICRO and AMBIMICRO on a stereo bus and the panning seems to work as a 360 effect although the up/down vertical pan is using EQ to create that. i noticed it's based on the Sennheiser AMBEO tech (which i also have) and all seems ok. on surround 5.1 (even though i'm routing to same two channels on my laptop, my desktop is offline for the moment which does have proper 5.1) the panning seems to behave as i'd expect it via my headphones.

in your case, you look like need something to route or simulate a complete 5.1. Waves NX has a 5.1 plugin emulation for headphones (which i've never tried but may have to now) and there dearVR monitor might also. there are several other headphone surround emulating plugins out there as well which may allow you to set up the routing preferences better.

https://www.waves.com/nx

https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room (which is what i have)

waves nx  was looking hopeful but it's the same issues it has no surround support for Cakewalk https://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#tab-tech-specs|tab-supported-hosts